Software Engineering, Data Science
Perth WA, Australia
Posted on Friday, September 16, 2022
Advanced Navigation is one of the world’s most ambitious innovators in AI robotics and navigation technology across land, air, sea and space. While our main headquarters are in Sydney, we have multiple research facilities in Australia and sales offices around the world. Since 2011, the company has experienced great success and has progressed into several deep, new technologies. Our fields of expertise include underwater sonar, GNSS, radio frequency systems, inertial sensors, robotics, quantum sensors and photonics.
Today, Advanced Navigation is a supplier to some of the world's largest companies, including Airbus, Boeing, Google, Tesla, Apple, and General Motors. We are the catalyst of the autonomy revolution and our technology can be seen in exciting applications across the globe.
Hydrus, our revolutionary underwater robot will help restore oceans to a flourishing state. You will find our navigation systems in the autonomous Indy race cars and thousands of Plus AI autonomous trucks. We help farmers adopt autonomous farming equipment and assist in various fields of research. Switching to software, our cloud-based drone management platform helps patrol beaches for emergency rescues and shark tracking. Off-planet, we will deliver a navigation system for the next NASA moon landing. The applications of our technologies are quite limitless - where there is autonomy, you will find Advanced Navigation.
Our robotics engineering team in Perth has grown rapidly over the past 12 months in order to accelerate the development of our next-generation autonomous underwater vehicle (AUV) platform. In this role as a Data Engineer you will be responsible for developing and advancing AI features and capabilities within our existing Hydrus robotic platform, and working closely with the embedded software team to add new capabilities and enter new markets.
- Research AI models for underwater object recognition
- Developing highly efficient AI models to operate, in real time, on low power processors
- Develop a model training process for the developed model to allow customers to provide training data-sets
- Work closely with Product team to meet demonstration and market requirements
- Work closely with the Project Manager to ensure project requirements are being met, timelines are realistic and being adhered to and also the engineering designs meet requirements
- Identify scope and schedule risks and address/raise them with the Project manager
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- 5+ years AI research or data science experience
- A track record of turning high level discussions into detailed, personal work plans and reporting progress to management
- Experience with image and video manipulation, tools and process
- Proven high standard of attention to detail, time management and “follow-through”
- Subsea image structure from Motion (SfM) point cloud generation
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent time management, driven to work quickly
- Strong attention to detail
- Be comfortable deep diving into technical topics and learning new skills to solve emerging problems
- Possess strategic thinking and strong abilities to distil large amounts of information quickly and accurately
- Strong ability to communicate difficult decisions effectively with stakeholders
- Programming experience with scripting languages such as python
- Be comfortable deep diving into technical topics and learning new skills to solve new problems
- A proactive self-starting approach with a track record of initiative, personal responsibility, ownership of work and reputation for making things happen
- Be highly motivated with an energetic, responsive and decisive disposition;
- A background in computer vision is desirable
- Experience working with embedded systems is desirable
- Tensorflow experience is desirable
- OpenCV/ Video for linux experience is desirable
What are some of the benefits you will have access to?
You'll have access to industry-leading products with diverse applications within some of the most interesting and exciting projects worldwide. We’re growing a team of inspired, smart, and driven individuals from all sorts of backgrounds. With great opportunities for growth and variety, we strive to help each employee carve out the path that’s right for them.
See more open positions at Advanced Navigation
Something looks off?