Senior Mechanical Engineer
Perth, WA, Australia
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2023
Advanced Navigation is one of the world’s most ambitious innovators in AI robotics and navigation technology across land, air, sea and space. While our main headquarters are in Sydney, we have multiple research facilities in Australia and sales offices around the world. Since 2011, the company has experienced great success and has progressed into several deep, new technologies. Our fields of expertise include underwater sonar, GNSS, radio frequency systems, inertial sensors, robotics, quantum sensors and photonics.
Today, Advanced Navigation is a supplier to some of the world's largest companies, including Airbus, Boeing, Google, Tesla, Apple, and General Motors. We are the catalyst of the autonomy revolution and our technology can be seen in exciting applications across the globe.
Hydrus, our revolutionary underwater robot will help restore oceans to a flourishing state. You will find our navigation systems in the autonomous Indy race cars and thousands of Plus AI autonomous trucks. We help farmers adopt autonomous farming equipment and assist in various fields of research. Switching to software, our cloud-based drone management platform helps patrol beaches for emergency rescues and shark tracking. Off-planet, we will deliver a navigation system for the next NASA moon landing. The applications of our technologies are quite limitless - where there is autonomy, you will find Advanced Navigation.
Overview of Position
We are looking for an experienced Mechanical Engineer who has extensive experience in the design of plastic injection moulded & metal parts that went into a mass production.
- Design, draft, manufacture & test prototype parts and assemblies
- Provide creative input into product industrial design (usability, aesthetics & functionality, design for manufacture and assembly)
- Perform detailed mechanical design calculations, including modelling, simulation & verification testing
- Prepare documents required for design data packs, such as: specifications, compliance matrices, design calculations, analysis reports, drawings, test plans, test reports and BOMs
- Perform root cause analysis of engineering issues using structured problem solving methods and techniques. Be a coach or mentor to other engineers in this area.
- Propose, plan and implement process improvements to increase quality, reduce cost, improve safety and improve efficiency, working directly with manufacturing engineers
- Working with the manufacturing and support teams to deliver and maintain hardware equipment and systems
Skills & Experience
- Bachelor degree or higher in mechanical engineering and/or mechatronics
- Significant experience applying advanced principles, theories, and concepts to the design & development of sophisticated mechanical assemblies
- Significant experience of working in a team that delivered product(s) to the market
- Experience designing products with a variety of materials and processes
- Practical, hands-on mentality. Comfortable building and assembling prototypes
- Highly developed organisational skills, attention to detail and technical reasoning.
- Ability to solve complex or difficult problems that requires new thinking and/or definition of new processes
- Structured problem solving skills
- Be highly motivated with an energetic, responsive and decisive disposition
- Demonstrated ability to work with complex 3D model assemblies in Solidworks (primary working tool)
- Experience in product design and development using urethanes, silicones, polycarbonates and experience of getting those designs realized in high volume production is highly desirable
- Knowledge of plastic injection moulding is desirable
What are some of the benefits you will have access to?
You'll have access to industry-leading products with diverse applications within some of the most interesting and exciting projects worldwide. We’re growing a team of inspired, smart, and driven individuals from all sorts of backgrounds. With great opportunities for growth and variety, we strive to help each employee carve out the path that’s right for them.