Senior Algorithms Engineer
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posted on Friday, May 5, 2023
Advanced Navigation is one of the world’s most ambitious innovators in AI robotics and navigation technology across land, air, sea and space. While our main headquarters are in Sydney, we have multiple research facilities in Australia and sales offices around the world. Since 2011, the company has experienced great success and has progressed into several deep, new technologies. Our fields of expertise include underwater sonar, GNSS, radio frequency systems, inertial sensors, robotics, quantum sensors and photonics.
Today, Advanced Navigation is a supplier to some of the world's largest companies, including Airbus, Boeing, Google, Tesla, Apple, and General Motors. We are the catalyst of the autonomy revolution and our technology can be seen in exciting applications across the globe.
Hydrus, our revolutionary underwater robot will help restore oceans to a flourishing state. You will find our navigation systems in the autonomous Indy race cars and thousands of Plus AI autonomous trucks. We help farmers adopt autonomous farming equipment and assist in various fields of research. Switching to software, our cloud-based drone management platform helps patrol beaches for emergency rescues and shark tracking. Off-planet, we will deliver a navigation system for the next NASA moon landing. The applications of our technologies are quite limitless - where there is autonomy, you will find Advanced Navigation.
Overview of Position
Advanced Navigation is a global leader in high-accuracy navigation systems with headquarters in Sydney, Australia. The company has a heavy engineering focus, with substantial R&D capability in Sydney, Perth and Canberra. Our products are developed and manufactured in Australia. They are designed to deliver critical navigation information across sea, land, and air platforms, including surface, and subsea assets, ground vehicles, and unmanned aerial vehicle applications. The Senior Algorithms Engineer plays an integral role in developing novel products and substantially improving existing product families. The Senior Algorithms Engineer focuses on research activities that invent and develop unproven ideas into commercially viable innovations.
- Find novel solutions to important business-relevant technical challenges
- Define, plan, execute, monitor and report on research activities, ensuring they are aligned with the needs of Advanced Navigation and key external stakeholders
- Implement, test and evaluate new technology, either in a realtime solution or in post-processing or simulated context (for example in Matlab) depending on the needs of the business and project priorities
- Specify system and component designs
- Develop and execute system and component tests to ensure that implementations conform to specifications
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Bachelor Degree qualified with specialisation in mechatronics, software engineering, physics, applied mathematics, or similar.
- Five years of experience in professional R&D roles or PhD/Masters in a related field; with the expectation that the candidate will have been centrally involved in developing and testing algorithms.
- Application of state estimation and/or digital signal processing techniques to solve real-world problems.
- Experience with real time processing and/or post processing of sensor data (IMU, Radar, Lidar etc).
- Application of coordinate transformations between reference frames.
- High-level proficiency with Matlab.
- Proficient in writing C/C++ for resource-constrained devices.
- Ability to summarise and explain technical concepts to a varied audience.
- Competence using git version control.
Nice to Have
- Background or experience working with GNSS/GPS systems and/or inertial navigation systems.
- Experience with FreeRTOS real-time operating system and ST Microcontrollers.
- Machine learning for resource constrained systems.
- Ability to mentor and motivate less experienced colleagues.
- Knowledge of techniques used for navigation in GNSS/GPS denied environments.
What are some of the benefits you will have access to?
You'll have access to industry-leading products with diverse applications within some of the most interesting and exciting projects worldwide. We’re growing a team of inspired, smart, and driven individuals from all sorts of backgrounds. With great opportunities for growth and variety, we strive to help each employee carve out the path that’s right for them.
Apart from the above you will be doing your life's best work in a large, fun office in central Sydney close to all public transportation, with coffee and breakfast provided, to keep you going throughout the day.