Production Engineering Team Lead
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posted on Thursday, November 2, 2023
Advanced Navigation is one of the world’s most ambitious innovators in AI robotics and navigation technology across land, air, sea and space. While our main headquarters are in Sydney, we have multiple research facilities in Australia and sales offices around the world.
Today, Advanced Navigation is a supplier to some of the world's largest companies and helps automate some of the worlds biggest industries. Hydrus, our revolutionary underwater robot will help restore oceans to a flourishing state. You will find our navigation systems in the autonomous Indy race cars and thousands of Plus AI autonomous trucks. We help farmers adopt autonomous farming equipment and assist in various fields of research. Switching to software, our cloud-based drone management platform helps patrol beaches for emergency rescues and shark tracking. Off-planet, we will deliver a navigation system for the next NASA moon landing. The applications of our technologies are quite limitless - where there is autonomy, you will find Advanced Navigation.
The Production Engineering Team Lead is accountable for the performance of Production Engineers to ensure that the production line runs efficiently and at the necessary quality.
The role will foster an environment of continuous improvement that adds significant measurable value to the business in cost, lead time or quality (customer experience impact).
The Production Engineering Team Lead’s primary role is to be available and provide support for the Production Engineers at the Advanced Navigation manufacturing site at Botany.
The role involves working closely with Production, Quality and R&D and is well-suited to an experienced people manager with deep technical production experience in a regulated environment (e.g. Medical, Automotive, Defence and Aerospace).
- Production Engineering team management to ensure that tasks related to day to day production allocated to the team are performed to the right quality and in a timely manner. Such as quarantine, production changes, non-conformance reports (internal and external facing), customer RMAs.
- Coach and develop the team in the areas of quarantine, production changes, non-conformance reports (internal and external facing), customer RMAs.
- Accountable for the escalation of issues to the Head of Production Engineering that have a significant impact to the business and require significant cross-functional collaboration.
- Benchmark and track performance of the production line to quality metrics.
- Collaborate with the Production, Production Engineers, Quality and R&D on improvements to existing products and processes that provide significant value to the business.
- Ensure that appropriate communication tools are up to date and accurate (Confluence and Salesforce).
- Maximise availability for Production Engineers to support tasks, coaching and development.
- Work with the Head of Production Engineering to balance the workload of Production Engineers between supporting production, scaling capacity and introducing new products.
- Complying the Advanced Navigation QMS standards and supporting audits.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor degree, preferably in science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM)
- A minimum of 5 years experience in a people management role.
- Experience in production or production engineering
- Experience measuring and reporting on production metrics.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills Experience in defence or another highly regulated environment e.g. aerospace, defence, automotive, medical devices etc
- Experience in production engineering skills such as root cause analysis, customer RMA, NCRs and Quarantine
- Technical knowledge / experience in a manufacturing process greater than 2 years (e.g electronics, injection moulding, mechanical assembly, machining, optics, photonics, laser welding etc)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to understand complex technical concepts quickly
- Good stakeholder management
- Experience in production operations and engineering is desirable
- Experience in project management is nice to have
What are some of the benefits you will have access to?
Our Sydney office is in the heart of the CBD, close to all public transport, great restaurants and cafe’s. We offer financial support to our employees for further education as well as conferences, meetups and training courses. We also run an employee assistance program and regular team building and social activities. We have weekly Yoga, Meditation and Pilates classes, as well as the occasional dance class! There’s also free coffee and snacks, and fortnightly team lunches. Apart from the above you will be doing your life's best work with some extremely passionate and talented people.