Senior Legal Counsel, Regulatory Compliance & Licensing
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2023
Airwallex is the leading financial technology platform for modern businesses growing beyond borders. With one of the world’s most powerful payments and banking infrastructure, our technology empowers businesses of all sizes to accept payments, move money globally, and simplify their financial operations, all in one single platform.
Established in 2015 in Melbourne, our purpose is to connect entrepreneurs, business builders, makers and creators with opportunities in every corner of the world. Today, Airwallex has a global footprint across Asia-Pacific, Europe, and North America.
Airwallex’s global Regulatory Compliance & Licensing Team works cross-functionally and across multiple jurisdictions to develop and execute regulatory strategies that facilitate the launch into new markets and sustainably scale up Airwallex’s operations worldwide by applying for new regulatory licences as we expand in products suits and geographic regions, in addition to putting in place robust regulatory compliance measures for implementing and executing the licences.
You will be based in Japan, but will also have multi-regional responsibility by supporting areas in the broader APAC region. This role will have a strong focus on advising complex regulatory issues regionally. You will also be responsible for ensuring we are compliant with our licensing requirements by implementing appropriate measures and controls. You will be a valuable member of the global legal and compliance team. You will be given the opportunity to support a rapidly growing business and the management team to navigate an increasingly complex regulatory landscape. This dynamic role is ideal for someone who enjoys wearing multiple hats and solving complex issues and blockers for our clients, is detail oriented, willing to take on challenges and changes, obsessively curious and intellectually honest, thrives on taking actions and delivering impactful results, and aims to inspire and be inspired.
- Be responsible for managing our various regulatory licence applications in Japan to ensure Airwallex can successfully launch into the Japanese market.
- Be responsible for handling all regulatory issues relating to our business in Japan and other APAC regions.
- Monitor, report and influence trends and developments of regulatory issues in Japan and other APAC jurisdictions.
- Work closely with the Product Legal and Financial Crime Compliance teams to ensure compliance.
- Review and update manuals, policies and procedures to ensure compliance with laws and regulations in Japan and other APAC jurisdictions.
- Support local and global Product, Strategy and Management teams on launch into new markets or expansion of regulatory licences in existing markets.
- Be responsible for liaising with senior stakeholders of the Airwallex group, located around the world.
- Manage external counsel and consultants on regulatory matters.
- Develop and manage Airwallex’s regulatory submissions and filings, and report on regulatory requirements internally and in regulatory filings.
- Support government relations outreach to legislators and regulatory agencies.
- Lean in – you are proactive with business partners to identify the important issues and know how to prioritize to keep pace with a fast-moving business
- Possess strong legal instincts – you possess strong analytical and drafting skills developed from tackling a variety of projects at past roles and are a quick learner who enjoys new challenges
- Are a natural process improver - you have a well-honed ability to identify inefficiencies and uplift processes accordingly
- Are a strong communicator - you can synthesize and communicate recommendations to stakeholders and senior management in a concise yet thorough way
- Are a team player – you build rapport to become a vital part of a small, fast-paced team and work collaboratively with people at all levels and across functions and cultures
- Are a doer – you are self-motivated, thoughtful and passionate about effecting change within the organization and hold yourself accountable for delivering key outcomes
- 7-8 years of relevant experience
- Strong regulatory experience gained in the fintech industry, reputable law firms or financial institutions.
- Sound knowledge of the financial services regulatory environment in Japan (experience with KLFB, METI and FSA a definite advantage).
- Familiarity with the financial services regulatory environment in Japan and some knowledge of the regulatory framework in other parts of APAC.
- Strong stakeholder management skills and ability to deal with a range of internal and external stakeholders
- Proactive, results-driven, and take ownership for their work.
- Ability to multi-task and a team player with strong communication skills
- Fluent English and Japanese, strong ability to draft documents in both languages
At Airwallex you’ll have the ability to make an impact in a rapidly growing, global fintech. We want you to share in our success, which is why you’ll be offered a competitive salary plus valuable equity within Airwallex. We also like to ensure we create the best environment for our people by providing a collaborative open office space with a fully stocked kitchen. We organise regular team building events and we give our people the freedom to be creative.
Airwallex is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and anyone seeking employment at Airwallex is considered based on merit, qualifications, competence and talent. We don’t regard colour, religion, race, national origin, sexual orientation, ancestry, citizenship, sex, marital or family status, disability, gender, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Airwallex does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms/recruiters. Airwallex will not pay any fees to search firms/recruiters if a candidate is submitted by a search firm/recruiter unless an agreement has been entered into with respect to specific open position(s). Search firms/recruiters submitting resumes to Airwallex on an unsolicited basis shall be deemed to accept this condition, regardless of any other provision to the contrary.
See more open positions at Airwallex
Something looks off?