Director, Visual Design
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2023
Airwallex is the leading financial technology platform for modern businesses growing beyond borders. With one of the world’s most powerful payments and banking infrastructure, our technology empowers businesses of all sizes to accept payments, move money globally, and simplify their financial operations, all in one single platform.
Established in 2015 in Melbourne, our purpose is to connect entrepreneurs, business builders, makers and creators with opportunities in every corner of the world. Today, Airwallex has a global footprint across Asia-Pacific, Europe, and North America.
Airwallex is a leading financial technology platform empowering businesses to grow beyond borders. Our powerful payments and banking infrastructure simplifies financial operations for businesses of all sizes. As the company and our product offering grow, so is the need for an appropriate and comprehensive visual system to support our product and communications initiatives.
We are currently seeking a Director of Visual Design who embodies ownership, craftsmanship, and product thinking to lead our multidisciplinary team of Visual Designers. They will be working on strategic, high-impact projects focusing on creating innovative designs that tell our story and educate customers.
As the Director of Visual Design, you will spend 50% of your time working hands-on with the team on strategic and impactful projects, while the remaining 50% will be focused on managerial responsibilities with your team of visual designers. You will be responsible for people management, project oversight, and fostering career growth for your team. You will collaborate with various departments such as Strategy, Product, Brand & Marketing, Product Design, and Creative Leadership to ensure the successful execution of multidisciplinary projects.
What You'll Do:
- Lead and manage the Visual Design team, ensuring the delivery of high-quality designs that align with business goals and company branding
- Develop and maintain our Visual Design system artifacts, everything from color, iconography, microinteractions to brand guidelines
- Work hands-on with the team on strategic, high-impact projects spanning from marketing campaigns, web, social, email, experiential, broadcast, and print
- Embody a product thinking mindset: driving projects forward and approaching design problems with a profound understanding of product knowledge and logic
- Collaborate with brand & marketing team members, content strategists, product owners and product designers to translate business and marketing strategies into scalable creative campaign concepts
- Develop visually stunning and engaging treatments and campaign identities for global brand marketing projects with an emphasis on craftsmanship and attention to detail
- Foster a collaborative design process, from concepting and moodboarding through visual execution while providing constructive feedback and nurturing a culture of ownership within your team
- Oversee the work of agencies and contractors to tell stories through animations and motion graphics
- Ensure effective cross-functional collaboration between teams of designers, producers, product strategists, copywriters, and engineers
- Support the career growth of your team by setting objectives, providing mentorship, and conducting regular performance reviews
- Stay up-to-date with the creative landscape and trends within the design industry, continuously driving innovation within your team
Who You Are:
- An experienced leader with a track record of managing successful design teams and projects
- A collaborative designer who works with various departments to create collateral aligned with business goals and the company brand
- A systematic thinker and project manager, someone who approaches business requirements not just with immediate responses but always thinking in structure, guidelines, assets, and visual systems
- Experience working on a wide range of multifaceted visuals for various brand projects and comfortable with fast moving, iterative projects
- Self-motivated and self-sufficient with the ability to learn quickly and manage time effectively- A master communicator with excellent verbal and visual communication skills
Skills and Experience You Will Bring:
- 8+ years of industry experience, including at least 4+ years in a leadership role
- A full curriculum university design degree- A portfolio showcasing work across mediums
- Expertise in typography, composition, color, layout, design thinking, and content strategy, with the ability to define, build, and differentiate brands via visual systems
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, Figma. Motion design is a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Iterative design process experience- Knowledge of creative landscape and trends within the design industry
- An eye for cohesive visuals across fields like photography, illustration, and motion
- Experience in branding is a big plus- Experience managing multidisciplinary projects, including brand, marketing, and business initiatives
At Airwallex you’ll have the ability to make an impact in a rapidly growing, global fintech. We want you to share in our success, which is why you’ll be offered a competitive salary plus valuable equity within Airwallex. We also like to ensure we create the best environment for our people by providing a collaborative open office space with a fully stocked kitchen. We organise regular team building events and we give our people the freedom to be creative.
Airwallex is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and anyone seeking employment at Airwallex is considered based on merit, qualifications, competence and talent. We don’t regard colour, religion, race, national origin, sexual orientation, ancestry, citizenship, sex, marital or family status, disability, gender, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Airwallex does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms/recruiters. Airwallex will not pay any fees to search firms/recruiters if a candidate is submitted by a search firm/recruiter unless an agreement has been entered into with respect to specific open position(s). Search firms/recruiters submitting resumes to Airwallex on an unsolicited basis shall be deemed to accept this condition, regardless of any other provision to the contrary.
See more open positions at Airwallex
Something looks off?