Director of Commercial Legal - EMEA
Posted on Thursday, November 2, 2023
Airwallex is the leading financial technology platform for modern businesses growing beyond borders. With one of the world’s most powerful payments and banking infrastructure, our technology empowers businesses of all sizes to accept payments, move money globally, and simplify their financial operations, all in one single platform.
Established in 2015, our purpose is to connect entrepreneurs, business builders, makers and creators with opportunities in every corner of the world. Today, Airwallex has a global footprint across Asia-Pacific, Europe, and North America.
The Director of Commercial Legal is a pivotal leadership role responsible for providing strategic legal counsel and support across complex commercial operations within the EMEA region.
Reporting directly to the London-based Global Head of Legal, Commercial and Product, this position will oversee and manage all legal matters related to commercial transactions, contracting, negotiations and revenue strategies as well as complex strategic partnerships.
You will strategically partner with sales leadership, predominantly at Enterprise level and will be tasked with providing proactive and effective legal support to enable the region to achieve their ambitious business goals.
What you’ll be doing:
- Provide practical legal guidance on how to navigate rules and regulations for new deals and customers in EMEA
- Provide legal strategies to facilitate the rollout of our products to customers locally, regionally, and globally
- Support expansion and launches to customers in new markets (eg. EU expansion and Middle-East expansion)
- Work with the compliance and risk teams globally to align on Airwallex's policies
What you’ll bring:
- 8+ years of experience in commercial, financial service and corporate law preferably with a fast-growing tech startup or top-tier strategy/management consulting or law firm
- LLB, LLM or Juris Doctor
- A keen interest in/understanding of financial services regulation and the fintech industry
- Experience managing a team
- In-depth knowledge of the legal and business environment in the EMEA region
- A keen interest in financial services regulation and the fintech industry
- Outstanding negotiation, communication, and leadership skills
- The ability to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams
- Demonstrated capability in managing and leading legal teams
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities
At Airwallex you’ll have the ability to make an impact in a rapidly growing, global fintech. We want you to share in our success, which is why you’ll be offered a competitive salary plus valuable equity within Airwallex. We also like to ensure we create the best environment for our people by providing a collaborative open office space with a fully stocked kitchen. We organise regular team building events and we give our people the freedom to be creative.
Airwallex is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and anyone seeking employment at Airwallex is considered based on merit, qualifications, competence and talent. We don’t regard colour, religion, race, national origin, sexual orientation, ancestry, citizenship, sex, marital or family status, disability, gender, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Airwallex does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms/recruiters. Airwallex will not pay any fees to search firms/recruiters if a candidate is submitted by a search firm/recruiter unless an agreement has been entered into with respect to specific open position(s). Search firms/recruiters submitting resumes to Airwallex on an unsolicited basis shall be deemed to accept this condition, regardless of any other provision to the contrary.