Solar and Battery Channel Business Development Manager
Sales & Business Development
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2023
Amber is a new way to buy power, designed for a world powered by renewable energy. We give customers direct access to the real-time wholesale electricity price as it varies every 30 mins and the technology to shift more of their energy usage to the times when cheaper renewables are available in the grid. It’s a cheaper way to buy power and the fastest way for Australia to reach 100% renewable energy.
We have recently released our Amber for Batteries product which is helping customers unlock more value from their batteries and drive down their payback periods. Our SmartShift software automates customers’ batteries to charge from cheap renewables and then discharge into the grid when wholesale prices are spiking, allowing individual customers to earn up to $100 in a day by competing directly with large coal and gas generators. Amber’s gives customers more value and more control than the traditional Virtual Power Plant model. We also plan to release an Electric Vehicle charging automation product 2023.
We are growing rapidly and have thousands of customers who love what we’re doing and a great product that will play a significant role in driving Australia towards a renewable future. We are backed by Australia’s leading investors including Commonwealth Bank, Square Peg Capital, Giant Leap (Impact Investment Group), and Black Sheep Capital. We’re now at a critical moment in taking the business to real scale as we disrupt a huge market for the better.
We’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace and a great culture of people who love coming to work to build a better world. You’d be a part of a rapidly growing team of more than 60 with expertise across energy, technology, marketing, and operations.
About the Role
Due to the incredible interest from solar and battery installers wanting to partner with Amber to create more value for their customers, we’re looking for a Solar and Battery Channel Business Development Manager to help us grow SmartShift™, Amber’s automated battery optimisation product. We’re looking for someone who understands this channel and the specific needs and goals of solar installers.
As Business Development Manager you’d be working in a team at the cutting edge of new technology, reporting to the GM Special Projects and helping to build Amber’s ambitious vision. Your role will be to drive the development of new solar and battery installer partnerships that will underpin the growth and promotion of this product. By scaling this high-priority channel, your work will contribute to driving the renewables transition, while benefiting customers and the grid.
Specifically, you'll be an organised self-starter, analytically-minded and confident communicator (written and verbal) and relationship builder. You’re familiar with Australia’s energy market and virtual power plants. Ideally, you have in-depth knowledge of the Australian solar market including key players, brands and organisations. You’ll work closely with all teams across the business, from marketing, product, operations, exec, and with external partners, to help grow Amber’s battery automation product in line with the objectives of the retail business.
- Drive the strategy, development, and expansion of Amber’s partnerships with solar and battery installers throughout the NEM. This includes developing new relationships and supporting existing partners and installers.
- Explore and expand other B2BC opportunities that are strategic to the expansion of the Amber for Batteries product
- Work with the Special Projects team to develop and expand SmartShift across the NEM for existing and new devices
- Collaboration across all Amber teams (including special projects, marketing, product and operations) to develop and roll out SmartShift and other special projects
- Maintain awareness of industry developments particularly around demand response, battery technology and virtual power plants pertinent to a retailer operating in the NEM jurisdictions and Victoria
- 2+ years post-qualification experience working in a business development or sales or technical role in the distributed energy industry (eg residential solar/battery, Virtual Power Plants or Electric Vehicles)
- Very strong communications skills and the ability to motivate and influence senior stakeholders.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to translate complex problems into practical solutions
- An understanding of and interest in energy, demand response and / or virtual power plants
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team and also independently to undertake tasks in your portfolio with excellence
- Strong project management skills to deliver on multiple pieces of impactful work at once
- A drive to perform autonomously in a fast-paced environment
- A growth mindset and always willing to learn, as well as to test new things
A tertiary degree may be beneficial but is not a prerequisite.
- Be part of a growing technology startup that will shape the future of renewable energy in Australia
- Flexible working hours with provision for regular work from home arrangements
- We offset 100% of your carbon footprint for as long as you work with us (via Nul)
- Equitable gender neutral parental leave policies
- An external Employee Assistance Plan for mental health support
- Competitive salary and equity
This is a full-time role. Amber has offices in Sydney and Melbourne. All our workers have a choice as to where they work each day. We typically work one to three days a week in our CBD office.
How to Apply
To apply please submit your resume and a cover letter by following the link.
Our process will generally be as follows:
• An initial interview with one of our special project team members
• A second interview with another team member
• A final chat with one of our co-CEOs
We promise to be respectful of your time as an applicant while trying to be as thorough as possible in finding the right fit for our team.
See more open positions at Amber Electric
Something looks off?