Our commitment to privacyBlack Innovation 2 Pty Ltd (ACN 617 152 851) (Black AI) is committed to managing personal information in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and in accordance with other applicable privacy laws.
About Black AI
Black AI is an Australian-based company which is continually striving to develop new artificial intelligence solutions for use in different settings, in particular, industrial and retail settings such as supermarkets. Black AI currently provides an autonomous retail platform and associated API to its clients, which maps and monitors retail stores in real-time using a distributed sensor and compute system (the Black.ai System). The Black.ai System, which detects objects and events, enables clients to understand the visitor's journey within the installed environment, and observe their interactions, such as the pickup, put down, or inspection of items.
What information does Black AI collect about you?
Clients and prospective clients:When you enquire about our services or when you become a client of Black AI, a record is made which includes your personal information.
The type of personal information that we collect will vary depending on the circumstances of collection and the kind of service that you request from us, but will typically include:
- your name, e-mail, postal address and other contact details;
- information about your employer or an organisation who you represent;
- your professional details, such as your job title; and
- any additional personal information you provide to us, or authorise us to collect, as part of your interaction with us.Prospective employees or applicants:- We collect personal information when recruiting personnel, such as your name, contact details, qualifications and work history. Generally, we will collect this information directly from you.
- We may also collect personal information from third parties in ways which you would expect (for example, from recruitment agencies or referees you have nominated). If relevant to the position you are applying for, we may conduct a background check. If you accept an offer of employment, we will collect your Tax File Number and details of your superannuation fund.Other individuals:
- We may collect personal information about other individuals who are not clients of Black AI. This includes customers and members of the public who participate in events we are involved with, our investors, individual service providers and contractors to Black AI, and other individuals who interact with Black AI on a commercial basis. The kinds of personal information we collect will depend on the capacity in which you are dealing with Black AI.- Where Black AI’s clients use our retail platform or API, the Black.ai System which has been installed in their retail store, will capture images of shoppers via video-stream in real-time within a particular space. These images are used to develop an understanding of the shoppers’ movements within the store, including (but not limited to) observing which items are picked up or put down. Each image is assigned a unique identification number for the duration of the store visit. Black AI does not know the identity of the shoppers, and makes an active effort to utilise only short-term re-identification techniques that are not effective over longer time periods. Ie. Black.ai does not leverage gait or facial recognition technology, and does not attempt to recognise individuals between multiple visits.You can always decline to give Black AI any personal information we request, but that may mean we cannot provide you with some or all of the services you have requested. If you have any concerns about personal information we have requested, please let us know.
Visitors to our websitesThe way in which we handle the personal information of visitors to our websites is discussed below.
How and why does Black AI collect and use your personal information?
Black AI collects personal information reasonably necessary to carry out our business, to assess and manage our clients' needs, and to provide services to our clients. We may also collect information to fulfil administrative functions associated with these services, for example billing, entering into contracts with you or third parties and managing client relationships.
The purposes for which Black AI usually collects and uses personal information depends on the nature of your interaction with us, but may include:
responding to requests for information and other general inquiries;
researching, developing and expanding our services;
informing you of our activities, events, technology and services;
recruitment processes; and
responding to enquires and complaints.
Black AI generally collects personal information directly from you. We may collect and update your personal information over the phone, by email, over the internet or social media, or in person. We may also collect personal information about you from other sources, for example:
third party suppliers and contractors who assist us to operate our business.Black AI also collects and uses personal information for market research purposes and to innovate our delivery of our autonomous retail platform technology and services.
What are cookies and do I have to share my personal information with Black.ai?
You can use the settings in your browser to control how your browser deals with cookies. However, in doing so, you may be unable to access certain pages or content on our website.
Black AI’s website may contain links to third-party websites. Black AI is not responsible for the content or privacy practices of websites that are linked to our website.
Can you deal with Black AI anonymously?
Black AI will provide individuals with the opportunity of remaining anonymous or using a pseudonym in their dealings with us where it is lawful and practicable (for example, when making a general enquiry). Generally, it is not practicable for us to deal with individuals anonymously or pseudonymously on an ongoing basis. If we do not collect personal information about you, you may be unable to utilise our services or participate in our events, programs or activities we manage or deliver.
How does Black AI hold information?
Black AI stores information in paper-based files or other electronic record keeping methods in secure databases (including trusted third party storage providers based in Australia and overseas). Personal information may be collected in paper-based documents and converted to electronic form for use or storage (with the original paper-based documents either archived or securely destroyed). We take reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, interference and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.Black AI maintains physical security over paper and electronic data stores, such as through locks and security systems at our premises. We also maintain computer and network security, for example, we use firewalls (security measures for the internet), disk encryption, and other security systems such as user identifiers and passwords to control access to our data and computer systems.Where data is collected via Black AI’s retail platform, the data is stored in Australia, in the following ways: on units in our clients’ stores, on a server located in those stores, in the cloud and in our office.Our website does not necessarily enforce the use of encryption or other technologies to ensure the secure transmission of information via the internet. Users of our website are encouraged to exercise care in sending personal information via the internet.We take steps to destroy or de-identify information that we no longer require.
Does Black AI use or disclose your personal information for direct marketing?
Black AI may use or disclose your personal information for the purpose of informing you about our products or services, upcoming promotions and events, or other opportunities that may interest you. If you do not want to receive direct marketing communications, you can opt-out at any time by contacting us using the contact details below.
If you opt-out of receiving marketing material from us, Black AI may still contact you in relation to its ongoing relationship with you.
How does Black AI use and disclose personal information?
Does Black AI disclose your personal information overseas?
Black AI works with clients, service providers, sponsors and commercial interests across the globe. It is possible that your personal information will be disclosed to overseas recipients. While these recipients could be located anywhere in the world, they are most likely to be located in the USA, UK, India, Malaysia, and Australia.Unless we have your consent, or an exception under the Australian Privacy Principles applies, we will only disclose your personal information to overseas recipients where we have taken reasonable steps to ensure that the overseas recipient does not breach the Australian Privacy Principles in relation to your personal information.
How can you access or seek correction of your personal information?
You are entitled to access your personal information held by Black AI on request. To request access to your personal information, please contact our Privacy Officer using the contact details set out below.You will not be charged for making a request to access your personal information but you may be charged for the reasonable time and expense incurred in compiling information in response to your request.We will take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete and up-to-date. You can help us to do this by letting us know if you notice errors or discrepancies in information we hold about you and letting us know if your personal details change.However, if you consider any personal information we hold about you is inaccurate, out-of-date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading you are entitled to request correction of the information. After receiving a request from you, we will take reasonable steps to correct your information.We may decline your request to access or correct your personal information in certain circumstances in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles. If we do refuse your request, we will provide you with a written reason for our decision and, in the case of a request for correction, we will include a statement with your personal information about the requested correction.
What should you do if you have a complaint about the handling of your personal information?
How can you contact Black AI?
Black AI’s contact details are set out below:
Black AI’s Privacy Officer
53 Victoria Street, Fitzroy, VIC 3065
+61 407 441 199
Something looks off?