Senior Engineer - Core Services
Join us on our mission to make a better world of work.
Culture Amp revolutionizes how over 25 million employees across 6,000 companies create a better world of work. As the global platform leader for employee experience, Culture Amp empowers companies of all sizes and industries to transform employee engagement, develop high performing teams, and retain talent via cutting-edge research, powerful technology, and the largest employee dataset in the world. The most innovative companies across the globe, such as Salesforce, PwC, KIND, SoulCycle, Celonis and BigCommerce depend on Culture Amp every day.
Culture Amp is backed by 10 years of innovation, leading capital venture funds, and offices in the U.S, U.K, Germany and Australia. Culture Amp is recognized as one of the world’s top private cloud companies by Forbes and one of the most innovative workplace companies by Fast Company.
Learn more about how Culture Amp can help you create a better world of work at cultureamp.com.
How you can help make a better world of work
You’ll be joining a team that works on crafting the central shared services that underpin our product – #team_core_services. Our mission is to provide shared services that improve Culture Amp's ability to build new features and to operate, maintain, and grow the platform at scale. This involves multiple software stacks including authentication, web gateway, and more. We play a pivotal role in contributing to the product growth with a keen eye on building to scale. All our teams are cross-functional and have the autonomy and responsibility for bringing features from conception all the way through to owning them in production, and you’ll be involved throughout that process. Core Services work in multiple areas and projects which can change regularly, eg. one project may be working on a Ruby on Rails monolith, another on a Go/NextJS microservices infrastructure.
As part of this team of amazing humans,
- Tackle a wide variety of technical problems across our codebases as you build features and help us move to a distributed and event-driven architecture.
- Collaborate with other engineers in your team through pair/mob programming, writing solution designs, or giving feedback on pull requests, to build shared understanding of your work.
- Work with the product managers and designers in your team to understand customer problems and help to develop, refine, and then implement solutions.
- Maintain and support the services your team is responsible for. Ensure our dependencies are up-to-date, observe and understand services in production, refactor code, and attend to issues raised by our customers.
- You have Go, Ruby or TypeScript expertise (or are willing to learn).
- You have experience in building web-based software applications. You understand fundamental engineering concepts, scalability, security, and maintenance.
- You have experience writing and operating backend services.
- You have a good process that involves documenting your work. You write code that is consistent, maintainable, and understood by your teammates.
- You understand the value of test-driven development and know how and when to add tests. Your code is thoroughly covered by integration and unit tests.
- You are a proactive and clear communicator. You value empathy and kindness and are able to articulate your ideas and feelings when writing or speaking, and are open to the perspectives others bring.
- You are self-motivated and can work independently. You take the initiative to ensure that you have everything you need to work efficiently and call for support when required.
- You are interested in understanding and solving customer problems. You think about how your work – at all levels – impacts our customers and improves their experience.
- You are aligned with our values and demonstrate them through your working practice.
It’s not expected that any single candidate would check every box here — what’s important is that you arrive with a strong set of fundamentals, and that you’re committed to building the skills you’ll need to do great work. Similarly, while we use a range of specific technologies — Go, AWS, TypeScript, Kafka, React, Ruby/Rails — you don’t need to have direct experience with them for this position and there’ll be opportunities to learn as part of the role.
We ensure you have the tools you need to thrive both in and out of work.
- MacBooks for you to do your best work
- Share Options - it’s important to us that everyone is an owner and can share in our success
- Excellent parental leave and in work support programme, - for those families to be
- Flexible working schedule - where we can, let’s make work, work for you
- Fun and inclusive digital, and in-person events
Most importantly, an opportunity to really make a difference in people’s lives.
Please keep reading...
Research shows that candidates from underrepresented backgrounds often don't apply for roles if they don't meet all the criteria – unlike majority candidates meeting significantly fewer requirements.
We strongly encourage you to apply if you’re interested: we'd love to know how you can amplify our team with your unique experience!
Thank you for taking the time to read this advert. If you decide to apply, as part of your application, we will ask you to complete voluntary diversity questions (excluding Germany). Please watch this video from our amazing DEI Leader, Aubrey Blanche to share more on why we collect the data and how we will use it.