Posted on Friday, May 19, 2023
At Deputy we’re on a mission to change the way the world of hourly work “works”. Businesses that use Deputy unlock thriving workplaces – one where staff are engaged and empowered, customers are served well, businesses are legally compliant, and companies profits thrive. For decades, software has primarily driven innovation in knowledge work businesses (Slack, Zoom, Asana, Notion), rather than hourly work businesses (think cafes, retail, manufacturing, medical clinics) – we are here to change that!
Deputy is a global cloud SaaS workforce management software company, HQ'd in Sydney (AU), San Francisco, and London (UK). We’ve helped 10s of millions of people across all industries in 70+ countries save time and money managing their hourly workforce so they can focus on what they do best, run thriving businesses.
Deputy has crossed $100m ARR, with strong financial stability and backed by leading US/Global investors. Our Target Market is about 60% of the world’s workforce, an ambitious vision, matched with an incredible values-led culture. Come join us!
Engineering innovation is the fuel that powers Deputy. Your mission is to be the Leader to take our high performing team to new heights, building a world-class engineering team to execute with quality, pace and an eye to the future.
As we are a growth company, you’ll have a strong bias to innovation, value creation and adapting to change in a very fast-paced environment.
You’ll be a technical mentor and people coach to our engineering directors and team leads, unleashing and inspiring our teams to solve real-world problems with innovative, elegant solutions with balanced tradeoffs.
What you'll do:
- Inspiring Technical Leader
- Evangelise the technical vision, strategy and technical roadmap planning and execution of product roadmap
- Be intimately familiar with our product, languages (PHP, Golang, Vue.JS), and our tech stack (AWS, distributed systems and services) to drive decisions about frameworks, architecture and long term decisions
- Drive the maturity, scalability, reliability of our platform and people as we grow to 1 million workplaces using Deputy
- Deliver the customer value and the product roadmap with engineering excellence and pace
- You have a bias to value creation, and will guide the team to building innovative, elegant solutions by balancing trade-offs with the best interests of the company.
- Guide the team on important architectural and long-term engineering decisions, as well as shorter-term tradeoffs. Stay technical to provide meaningful guidance on engineering decisions.
- Maintain a connection with key customers, particularly as Deputy moves upmarket.
- People Leader
- Trusted partner to design, engineering, product, and customer implementation leadership teams
- Mentor, develop, and guide your engineering directors, engineering managers, leads and engineers (our engineering team of ~90, growing quickly) so they can do their best work.
- Own the recruiting process as we grow and build a world-class, sustainable and diverse engineering team.
- Own the Engineering Team Engagement score (quarterly measure of team engagement), by building upon our interactive, learning-oriented engineering community
Characteristics & experience:
- Technical acumen. Ability to converse deeply with engineers and technical executives
- Seen the movie before. 10+ years Experience in a growing scale-up environment, with a bias to innovation and growth. Track record of developing and scaling global high-performance engineering teams of 100-plus members through hiring and mentorship of engineering leaders.
- Drive to create value. Ability to translate strategic direction and technological vision into tightly scoped projects and effective advisory on specific technical decisions within them
- Pacemaker. We have ambitious plans, with no time to waste. You’ll drive a pace of innovation and acceleration to be in clear leading position in market
- Growth mindset. We are still in the middle-stages of our company trajectory, that hasn’t figured it all out yet!
- Humbitious. We are ambitious to aim to make a significant global impact, and build a generational company, while humble enough to know it’ll take lots of hard work, learning from mistakes, and great people
- High agency mindset. High Agency is about finding a way to get what you want, without waiting for conditions to be perfect or otherwise blaming the circumstances. High Agency people either “find a way” in the face of adverse conditions or navigate to reverse the adverse conditions to achieve goals.
- Passion for technology. A geek at heart, you know the massive leverage and exponential ability innovative technical solutions can have in making an impact in the world.
Why join? 🤔
- Australian Hyper-Growth Startup - Head Office in Sydney
- Raised $111M Series B Round led by IVP, OpenView (our Series A investor), Square Peg Capital and EVP.
- Global Growth across APAC, America and EMEA.
- Share Options
- Paternity/Maternity Leave Policies
- Flexible Work Policy
- Company wide Development & Coaching
- Awards - "Your Time to Shine & Celebrate Success"
- Social Events & variety of social clubs (Books, LGBT, Games, Sports)
- Mental Health Support
- Munch & Learns
Our mission 🚀
At Deputy we’re on a mission to change the way the world works. Since 2008 over 200 million shifts have been rostered on Deputy, in over 90 countries, and across 245 different industries.
We’re making it easier for businesses and teams to roster staff, manage leave, complete payroll and take the admin out of work so that our customers can focus on doing what they love. We hire amazing people to do what they’re best at, and work with some incredible businesses all around the world.
Check out this video: Deputy Explained
Deputy believes in equal opportunity and that inclusiveness and diversity promotes innovation. Our global team members are from a variety of cultures. And we welcome different perspective and skills.
Interested? Apply now
See more open positions at Deputy
Something looks off?