Strategic Finance & Operations Director
Accounting & Finance, Operations
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2023
Deputy is a global leader in smart scheduling and workforce management. With more than 330,000 workplaces in over 100 countries using Deputy to streamline scheduling, communication, engagement, and onboarding for millions of shift workers, we empower businesses with the tools and insights to simplify compliance and build thriving workplaces in every community.
Our team, which sits across three continents, is driven by an empathy-first approach. We believe that our best work comes from putting our own employees’ experiences and the experiences of the managers, shift workers and business owners we support at the forefront of what we do.
At Deputy, we are passionate about our purpose. If you're ready to positively impact the future of work for the world’s 2.7 billion shift workers, we invite you to join our team.
The overall purpose of the Strategic Finance and Operations (SFO) team is to steer the company toward its goals. The SFO team are true strategic business partners and help each department delve deeper into current operational issues and create an action plan through strategic analysis. The SFO Team is ideally situated to identify key interdependencies and identify opportunities for efficiency improvement, yield and strategic advantage. There is tremendous potential for SFO to perpetually create value for Deputy.
We are looking for a motivated, data driven, results oriented leader who can partner with various stakeholders to drive outcomes and support our teams to achieve their goals. The SFO Director will have a firm grasp of what the numbers and metrics actually mean because of their in-depth knowledge of the business, systems and processes and will leverage this to support our teams to execute against strategy.
As this role will ideally be based in the US along the west coast (California, Oregon, Washington), you will be the SFO representative on the ground and will partner closely with local teams and leadership. While you will report into our Senior Director of SFO, based in Sydney, you will enjoy a lot of autonomy with a particular focus on business partnership with our US teams.
- Business Insights: Provide critical financial and business insights to support Deputy’s various teams, creating cadence to monitor the performance of the company and execution against strategic initiatives. You will coach leadership to make data-driven decisions, harnessing an understanding of key drivers to achieve results.
- Strategy: Work with the leadership team to validate the long-term strategic plan and key organisational priorities. You will orchestrate an aligned approach that brings all functions together to achieve the Deputy’s overall goals.
- Company-wide OKRs: Support the company-wide goal setting process, including appropriate cascading of goals throughout the organisation. Work cross-functionally with ops, finance, and data teams to define a single-source of truth for key SaaS metrics and target-based reporting across numerous systems, segments, and regions. Develop financial models and dashboards to track, report and improve those OKRs.
- Special Projects: Identify, lead and manage complex cross-functional efforts to optimise operating and financial performance, including understanding desirability, feasibility, and viability of new product efforts and supporting launch of new revenue streams. Assist with key strategic projects that will drive growth and create value for Deputy, including but not limited to M&A analysis, corporate development and fundraising.
- Operating Cadence: Work closely with the finance function and management to drive the operating cadence of the business including annual financial planning, quarterly OKR planning, and regular business reviews.
- Board and Investor Communications: Help prepare board materials, fundraising materials, and other external materials to communicate with investors and key stakeholders on company financial health.
- Financial & ROI Analysis: Drive standardisation and global consistency in assessment and monitoring of growth / investment opportunities and operational excellence initiatives, including development of ROI frameworks. This is a hands-on role requiring a sound understanding and capability of complex financial models and the supporting systems.
- Team Building: Build a world-class SFO team by attracting talent, and coaching team members, providing constructive feedback to help employee development.
- Ethically Grounded: Strong ethics and good character is a must.
- Strategic Thinker & Analytical Mindset: You can interpret and glean meaningful insights from deep dives into operational data and use this to inspire action by putting financial issues in a larger strategic and operational context.
- Strong Leadership & People Skills: You are a strong detector of people’s emotions. You attract and develop talent and are compassionate when people reach their limits. You work well with peers by putting the company first. You develop trust and rapport easily.
- A Great Communicator: You are capable of communicating complex financial information in an easy to understand format. You are able to interact comfortably with the executive management team. When you speak, people listen.
- Globally Minded: Capable of operating independently in a remote team environment, effectively managing relationships, deliverables and expectations with key stakeholders around the globe. You can think globally and execute globally (and locally).
- Ownership: You can anticipate problems & take ownership of issues, and help guide it forward, from inception to completion.
- Problem Solver: You are an expert in quantitative analysis who enjoys solving complex and unstructured problems, and you are able to effectively synthesise and present your insights to influence decisions.
- Data Nerd: You know that truth lies in the data, and have a relentless focus on metrics, goals and detail. At the same time, you are capable of seeing the forest through the trees. You strive to make decisions justified by data. You have exceptional excel / data management skills.
- Intellectually Curious: Proactive personality and strong eagerness to learn about the business, the industry, and new revenue models. You are inquisitive and persuasive.
- You likely have 8+ years of experience in finance or analytics at a tech company, venture capital or management consulting firm. You are fluent in SaaS business models and efficiency metrics.
- To be considered for the position you must be based along the West Coast in the US (California, Oregon, and Washington). Surrounding states or a willingness to work PST hours will also be considered.
The pay range for this position takes into account multiple factors that are all considered to determine an individual candidate’s starting pay. These factors include but are not limited to: market factors, experience, technical and non-technical skills, education, certifications, and other business acumen. This range does not include any potential incentive programs, such as individual or organizational performance bonuses.
For candidates based in the San Francisco Bay Area or New York City, the pay range for this position is $182,000 - $209,000.
For candidates based outside San Francisco Bay Area or New York City, the pay range for this position is $170,000 - $195,000.
-Employee Stock Ownership
-Competitive Compensation Packages
-401k Company Match
-Comprehensive Health Benefits
-Commuter Reimbursement Program
-Flexible Work Schedule
WHY JOIN DEPUTY?
Deputy believes in equal opportunity and that inclusiveness and diversity promotes innovation. Our global team members are from a variety of cultures. And we welcome different perspective and skills.
Interested? Apply now