Lead Software Engineer
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2023
At Deputy we’re on a mission to change the way the world of hourly work “works”. Businesses that use Deputy unlock thriving workplaces – one where staff are engaged and empowered, customers are served well, businesses are legally compliant, and companies profits thrive. For decades, software has primarily driven innovation in knowledge work businesses (Slack, Zoom, Asana, Notion), rather than hourly work businesses (think cafes, retail, manufacturing, medical clinics) – we are here to change that!
Deputy is a global cloud SaaS workforce management software company, HQ'd in Sydney (AU), San Francisco, and London (UK). We’ve helped 10s of millions of people across all industries in 70+ countries save time and money managing their hourly workforce so they can focus on what they do best, run thriving businesses.
We have crossed $100m ARR, with strong financial stability and backed by leading US/Global investors. Our Target Market is about 60% of the world’s workforce, an ambitious vision, matched with an incredible values-led culture. Come join us!
Mission “THE WHY”
As a Technical Lead (Full Stack), you will lead the build of key technical projects that further the companies products and platforms. In turn, you’ll be progressing our company mission of improving our customers business productivity, wage compliance and employee satisfaction.
You will be working closely with your peers, product, design and leadership to build amazing products and features for the Deputy platform, delivering services and products to millions of users and businesses from small & medium to enterprise.
You wake up every morning knowing with confidence that the work you do, from the user facing experiences to the backend APIs are being used to power the livelihood of millions of users worldwide.
Responsibilities “THE WHAT”
- Make technical decisions, and deliver technical solutions. Use hands-on, technical expertise to drive solutions for a range of challenges. You will be writing code in this role.
- Uphold a high bar of engineering standards and co-ordinate with Infrastructure and Quality
- Collaborate with Product and Design to discover and estimate solution options to key strategic initiatives
- Accountability for delivering technical solutions within estimated timeframes
- Operate in a get-things-done, value demonstrating, iterative manner
- Influence and problem solve with Sr, Mid and Jr. engineers to deliver high quality outcomes. This role may not have direct reports, but your leadership and mentorship will be key to driving the squads to successful outcomes.
- Distribute work to Sr, Mid and Jr. engineers
- Form a key member of the technical leadership team, driving standards, ways of working and platform decision making
- This role is a player-coach
Who you are “THE HOW”
- 3+ years experience as a Lead software engineer on high-performing, architecturally complex consumer products
- Mastery of PHP, or Go would be highly advantageous
- Ability to lead by example, rolling up your sleeves to “show the way”
- Outstanding problem solving skills, finding elegant solutions to complex problems
- Collaborative approach to working with other teams
- Thoughtful approach to leading and mentoring other engineers
- Proactive and effective communication style
- Strong contributor to the maintenance of a open and transparent culture
- Share Options
- Paternity/Maternity Leave Policies
- Flexible Work Policy
- Company wide Development & Coaching
- Awards - "Your Time to Shine & Celebrate Success"
- Social Events & variety of social clubs (Books, LGBT, Games, Sports)
- Mental Health Support
- Munch & Learns
Learn More About Deputy
Best Employee Scheduling Software 2023 (Forbes Advisor)
Deputy believes in equal opportunity and that inclusiveness and diversity promotes innovation. Our global team members are from a variety of cultures. And we welcome different perspective and skills.