Backend Software Engineer
Employment Hero is an Australian tech unicorn - valued at over $1.25 billion. Our world-class software is the easiest way for small and medium-sized businesses to manage HR, payroll, employee engagement, and benefits. We’ve grown 100% year-on-year since our inception in 2014, and now service over 200,000 businesses and 1 million+ active users globally. We have exciting growth plans for 2023 and beyond, powered by our mission of making employment easier and more valuable for everyone. We take a #Remote First approach with our team. Employment Hero can hire across the world, so long as candidates have eligible working rights and are in a suitable time zone to their colleagues. If you’ve got the skills for the role and the passion for our mission then we want to hear from you!
Employment Hero celebrates diverse perspectives and experiences, we invite people of all backgrounds and identities to apply for this position.
About the Intermediate Fullstack Software Development Engineer positions:
As a growing team, we need innovative and passionate Intermediate Full-stack Software Development Engineers to join our squads who will be a vital part of our engineering team, responsible for developing product features and collaborating with colleagues in design, product, and engineering. You will take ownership of writing automated tests for your production codes and work with cutting-edge technologies, focusing on tech stacks such as Ruby on Rails and ReactJS. In addition, you will have the opportunity to work on a diverse range of products and features.
We are looking for Intermediate / Senior Fullstack Software Development Engineers to join our AI engineering team who will:
- Develop and maintain both frontend and backend components of web applications using Ruby and ReactJS.
- Collaborate with product team to gather requirements and translate them into technical solutions.
- Contribute to the technical strategy and delivery of your squad and take part in scrum ceremonies.
- Ensure high-quality code by conducting testing and code reviews, both for yourself and your colleagues.
- Share your knowledge and mentor Junior Developers within your squad.
- Collaborate with highly respected Software Development Engineers in a high performing and supportive environment.
- Demonstrate your passion for working on highly complex and technically challenging development projects.
- Enhance legacy features for our award-winning HR tech platform.
Your experience, skills and qualifications:
- Over 3 years of experience in Software Development, with a focus on Server-side and RESTful API Development and integration.
- Proficiency in Ruby programming language and Ruby frameworks such as Rails or Sinatra OR expertise in other OOP languages such as Python, TypeScript, Golang, Java etc. Willingness to learn our tech stack and collaborate with our team is essential.
- Strong skills in Object-Oriented Programming (OOP).
- Proficiency in writing unit tests and possessing a strong testing mindset.
- Excellent English communication skills (both verbal and written), as you will be working with colleagues from different countries such as Australia, UK, New Zealand, etc.
- Solid understanding of standard Software Engineering processes, Testing, and Agile methodology.
- A team player mindset, prioritising collaboration and adaptability in your work approach.
- Passion for continuous learning, knowledge sharing, and a willingness to challenge your peers while being open to challenges yourself.
Nice to have skills / experiences (not required, but advantageous):
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering, or equivalent.
- Experience in functional programming.
- Familiarity with AWS tooling and environments, including EC2, Kubernetes, etc
We also have a great range of perks:
- We are remote-first, where you can work from the comfort of your home, and enjoy flexible working time
- Work your local hours! 40 hour work week, Monday to Friday
- Generous vacation leave allowance
- Paid Parental Leave subject to eligibility
- A generous budget to spend on setting up your home office (if you need a desk, chair, or screen? We’ve got you covered!)
- We set you up for success with the latest and greatest hardware, tools and tech
- Budgets towards continuing your learning
- International annual company conference (Last conference we went to Phuket, Thailand!)
- Refer friends to open jobs and receive a cash bonus for every successful referral you make
- Participate in our Employee Share Options Program - you’ll be a part owner of Employment Hero
We celebrate diverse perspectives and experiences, and we celebrate and invite people of all backgrounds and identities to apply for this position.
Why join Employment Hero?
Oh, And We Don’t Want To Toot Our Own Horn (actually Yes, We Do), But Others Think We’re Pretty Cool Too – We’ve Received Many Awards For Smashing Some Seriously Ambitious Goals Including:
- Raised $181M achieving unicorn status in February 2022
- LinkedIn Top 25 Startups 2021, ranked #2 in Australia
- The Australian Top 100 Innovators List 2021
- Raised $140M Series E round led by Insight Partners July 2021
- Raised $45M Series D round led by Seek 2021
- Deloitte Technology Fast 50 2020, ranked #42 in Australia
- LinkedIn Top 10 Startups 2020
- Raised $22M Series C Round led by Seek July 2019
- Raised $8 mill series B round led by Seek and OneVentures
- Deloitte Technology Fast 50 2019, ranked #20 in Australia
- GetApp Category Leader Q1 2019
- Deloitte Technology Fast 50 2018, ranked #12 in Australia
- HRD Gold Medalist - Human Capital Management Systems 2018
- HRD Gold Medalist - Rewards and Recognition Service Provider 2018
- HRD Rewards and Recognition Employer of Choice 2018
- LinkedIn Top 25 Startups 2018
- EY Entrepreneur of the Year National Finalist 2018