Senior Backend Software Engineer
Employment Hero (https://employmenthero.com/) is an Australian tech unicorn - valued at over $1.25 billion. Our world-class software is the easiest way for small and medium-sized businesses to manage HR, payroll, employee engagement, and benefits. We’ve grown 100% year-on-year since our inception in 2014, and now service over 200,000 businesses and 1 million+ active users globally. We have exciting growth plans for 2023 and beyond, powered by our mission of making employment easier and more valuable for everyone. We take a Remote First approach with our team. Employment Hero can hire across the world, so long as candidates have eligible working rights and are in a suitable time zone to their colleagues. If you’ve got the skills for the role and the passion for our mission then we want to hear from you! Employment Hero celebrates diverse perspectives and experiences, we invite people of all backgrounds and identities to apply for this position.
About the Role
As a growing team, we need innovative and passionate Senior Backend Software Development Engineers to join our squads who will be a vital part of our engineering team, responsible for developing product features and collaborating with colleagues in design, product, and engineering. You will take ownership of writing automated tests for your production codes and work with cutting-edge technologies, focusing on tech stacks such as Ruby on Rails and ReactJS. In addition, you will have the opportunity to work on a diverse range of products and features.
- Develop and maintain backend components of web applications using Ruby
- Collaborate with product team to gather requirements and translate them into technical solutions
- Contribute to the technical strategy and delivery of your squad and take part in scrum ceremonies
- Ensure high-quality code by conducting testing and code reviews, both for yourself and your colleagues.
- Share your knowledge and mentor other Developers within your squad.
- Collaborate with highly respected Software Development Engineers in a high performing and supportive environment.
- Demonstrate your passion for working on highly complex and technically challenging development projects.
- Enhance legacy features for our award-winning HR tech platform.
To excel in this role, you should possess the following qualifications:
- Over 3 years of experience in Software Development, with a focus on Server-side and RESTful API Development and integration.
- Understanding of software development principles and best practices, including clean code, testing, and debugging.
- Proficiency in Ruby programming language and Ruby frameworks such as Rails or Sinatra, OR expertise in other OOP languages such as Python, TypeScript, Golang, Java etc. (Willingness to learn our tech stack and collaborate with our team is essential)
- Proven experience in designing and building software products using the microservice architecture
- Good understanding of database concepts and experience working with relational databases like PostgreSQL or MySQL.
- Strong skills in Object-Oriented Programming (OOP).
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to quickly adapt and learn new knowledge.
- Familiarity with testing frameworks and methodologies
- Continuous learning mindset to stay ahead of the technology trend, utilising new tools to improve the performance and stability of the system.
- Solid understanding of standard Software Engineering processes, Testing, and Agile methodology.
- Excellent English communication skills (both verbal and written), as you will be working with colleagues from different countries such as Australia, UK, New Zealand, etc.
- A team player mindset, prioritising collaboration and adaptability in your work approach.
- Passion for continuous learning, knowledge sharing, and a willingness to challenge your peers while being open to challenges yourself.
Nice to have skills / experiences (not required, but advantageous):
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering, or equivalent.
- Have experience in leading/ management
- Experience in functional programming.
- Familiarity with AWS tooling and environments, including EC2, Kubernetes, etc.
We also have a great range of perks:
- Self, health, wealth and happiness programs
- Remote first and flexible working arrangements
- A generous budget to spend on setting up your home office (if you need a desk, chair, or screen? We’ve got you covered!)
- We set you up for success with the latest and greatest hardware, tools and tech
- Learning & development (including an external study policy, live monthly professional development classrooms, and premium online learning content!)
- Social events to get to know your new colleagues
- Employee Share Option Program: be an owner of Employment Hero !
Why join Employment Hero?
- Raised $181M achieving unicorn status February 2022
- LinkedIn Top 25 Startups 2021, ranked #2 in Australia
- The Australian Top 100 Innovators List 2021
- Raised $140M Series E round led by Insight Partners July 2021
- Raised $45M Series D round led by Seek 2021
- Deloitte Technology Fast 50 2020, ranked #42 in Australia
- LinkedIn Top 10 Startups 2020
- Raised $22M Series C Round led by Seek July 2019
- Raised $8 mill series B round led by Seek and OneVentures
- Deloitte Technology Fast 50 2019, ranked #20 in Australia
- GetApp Category Leader Q1 2019
- Deloitte Technology Fast 50 2018, ranked #12 in Australia
- HRD Gold Medalist - Human Capital Management Systems 2018
- HRD Gold Medalist - Rewards and Recognition Service Provider 2018
- HRD Rewards and Recognition Employer of Choice 2018
- LinkedIn Top 25 Startups 2018
- EY Entrepreneur of the Year National Finalist 2018