Head of Data & ML/AI
Employment Hero is an Australian tech unicorn - valued at over $2 billion. Our world-class software is the easiest way for small and medium-sized businesses to manage HR, payroll, employee engagement, and benefits. We’ve grown 100% year-on-year since our inception in 2014, and now service over 200,000 businesses and 1 million+ active users globally. We have exciting growth plans for 2023 and beyond, powered by our mission of making employment easier and more valuable for everyone.
We take a Remote First approach with our team. Employment Hero can hire across the world, so long as candidates have eligible working rights and are in a suitable timezone to their colleagues. If you’ve got the skills for the role and the passion for our mission then we want to hear from you!
We are seeking a dynamic and visionary Head of Data to lead our data practice and elevate it to a new level. This role will play a pivotal part in shaping our AI and data-driven future, collaborating with cross-functional teams to deliver valuable insights and data products for our expanding global customer base. The right candidate must possess a deep technical understanding, be a visionary, and execute initiatives at an accelerated pace, ensuring that our data and AI capabilities contribute to our growth and strategic objectives.
As the Head of Data, you will be responsible for the following key areas:
1. Strategy and Leadership:
Develop and communicate the overarching data and AI strategy, aligned with the company's goals and objectives.
Lead, mentor, and inspire a multidisciplinary team, including data scientists, data engineers, machine learning engineers, and data analysts, fostering a culture of innovation and collaboration.
2. Stakeholder Engagement:
Collaborate closely with internal stakeholders, including the Chief Product and Technology Officer (CPTO), Product Managers, Engineering and Business Leaders, to understand their data and AI needs and provide strategic guidance on data utilisation.
Establish strong relationships with key stakeholders and ensure the data and AI teams act as strategic partners in decision-making processes.
3. Cutting-Edge Data Science, Machine Learning, and AI Leadership:
Lead the data science function with an unwavering commitment to being at the forefront of the field, guiding the team in pioneering machine learning models, cutting-edge predictive analytics, and groundbreaking data-driven solutions.
Champion and drive the adoption of the latest AI best practices, state-of-the-art tooling, and innovative methodologies to position our business at the vanguard of AI integration across all aspects of our operations.
4. Data Engineering and Productionisation:
Build and maintain a development team responsible for productionising data and AI capabilities. Develop and maintain a set of capabilities, which may involve selecting appropriate technology and considering whether to build or buy solutions to meet our evolving data and AI needs.
5. Data Governance and Stewardship:
Define and implement data governance, privacy, security, and data stewardship practices to ensure the responsible use of data in compliance with applicable regulations.
Make data stewardship decisions regarding what data to store, how to protect it, and what to include in reports, ensuring the highest standards of data integrity and ethics.
6. Data and AI Product Development:
Support and assist in driving the development of data products that create value for our clients and drive business growth.
Collaborate with product teams to integrate AI capabilities into our offerings, making AI a central component of our products and services.
7. Fast-Paced Execution:
Hit the ground running, rolling out initiatives at an accelerated pace, and driving your teams to achieve ambitious goals.
- Proven leadership experience in a data-focused role, with a track record of successful AI implementation and data product development.
- Deep technical understanding of data science, machine learning, and AI.
- Exceptional communication and stakeholder engagement skills.
- Ability to balance vision with practicality and lead teams effectively to execute at a rapid pace.
- A passion for AI, data, and the drive to deliver innovation.
Nice to haves:
- A proficiency in Python scripting and familiarity with relevant data tools and technologies.
- Relevant qualifications, such as a Masters in the field of Data Science or similar.
Employment Hero celebrates diverse perspectives and experiences, we invite people of all backgrounds and identities to apply for this position.
Some of our Benefits
- Self, health, wealth and happiness programs
- Remote first and flexible working arrangements
- A generous budget to spend on setting up your home office (if you need a desk, chair, or screen? We’ve got you covered!)
- We set you up for success with the latest and greatest hardware, tools and tech
- Learning & development, including an external study policy, live monthly professional development classrooms, and premium online learning content!
- Social events to get to know your new colleagues
- Employee Share Option Program: be an owner of Employment Hero!
Why join Employment Hero?
* Raised $263M Series F round led by TCV in October 2023
* Raised $181M achieving unicorn status February 2022
* LinkedIn Top 25 Startups 2021, ranked #2 in Australia
* The Australian Top 100 Innovators List 2021
* Raised $140M Series E round led by Insight Partners July 2021
* Raised $45M Series D round led by Seek 2021
* Deloitte Technology Fast 50 2020, ranked #42 in Australia
* LinkedIn Top 10 Startups 2020
* Raised $22M Series C Round led by Seek July 2019
* Raised $8 mill series B round led by Seek and OneVentures
* Deloitte Technology Fast 50 2019, ranked #20 in Australia
* GetApp Category Leader Q1 2019
* Deloitte Technology Fast 50 2018, ranked #12 in Australia
* HRD Gold Medalist - Human Capital Management Systems 2018
* HRD Gold Medalist - Rewards and Recognition Service Provider 2018
* HRD Rewards and Recognition Employer of Choice 2018
* LinkedIn Top 25 Startups 2018
* EY Entrepreneur of the Year National Finalist 2018