Payroll Implementation Team Lead
Our mission and where you fit in
At Employment Hero, we’re an ambitious bunch of people on a mission to make employment easier and more valuable for everyone.
Since our inception in 2014, we've had some pretty impressive growth (100% YoY), now serving 300,000 businesses globally, with 2 million+ users on the platform, reaching unicorn status in 2022 - and we have no plans to slow down.
There’s never been a more exciting time to join one of the fastest-growing SaaS unicorns, so let’s see if we could be a match!
What might your days look like
We're a team of global innovators, who cherish diverse perspectives that fuel our mission; to simplify the world of work for SMBs worldwide.
Our Managed Implementations Team forms a large part of the Customer Solutions function; responsible for implementing the Employment Hero platform/s with our medium-sized business customers.
The Payroll Implementation Team Lead will manage 5+ direct reports within the Payroll Team. This involves setting clear expectations, providing guidance and direction, and ensuring the team's productivity and effectiveness. As the team continues to grow, the Team Leader is responsible for the hiring and onboarding of new employees, and ensuring their development is supported through their probation period.
The Team Leader must have a deep understanding and expertise in the subject matter that the team is focused on. As well as proficiency across the Payroll and HR system and their connecting workflows, understanding this is key to optimal system/s performance and customer experience.
The Team Leader is responsible for guiding and supervising the team to achieve their goals and deliver on key performance indicators. They will play a pivotal role in fostering a positive work environment, ensuring team productivity, and facilitating communication between other Team Leaders and the Managed Implementations team as a whole.
On occasion, the Team Leader may be required to work on a project. By working on the project you gain a deep, hands-on understanding of the tasks and challenges the team faces. This understanding will allow you to provide more effective guidance, support, and problem-solving because you have firsthand knowledge of the project's intricacies. The project load should be between 1-3 projects.
The Team Leader report to the Implementations Experience Manager and will work to improve processes, manage changes and support the overall strategic direction of the team. Scope of the team however is constantly changing so the Team Lead needs to work agile in building new processes and coordinating with the team.
This role is both challenging and exciting! Our platform and our business are constantly changing. To be successful, you will need to communicate effectively, collaborate with stakeholders, prioritise tasks, and drive outcomes.
As a Payroll Implementation Team Lead, you’ll be responsible for:
- Working with the other Team Leaders on the distribution of projects amongst the team, taking into consideration their strengths and workload capacity, ensure deadlines are met and quality standards are maintained.
- Coordinate with other internal teams to ensure smooth operation and communication within EH and with clients.
- Identify and address resource constraints or needs that may hinder the team's success.
- Assist with troubleshooting and client queries and acting as the 1st escalation point for client issues.
- Act as the SME on payroll projects based on payroll best practice (when actively working on a project).
- Manage and coach direct reports; this includes identifying skill gaps, providing coaching and mentorship, and facilitating learning opportunities.
- Provide assistance and guidance on customer requirements or issues that occur in the project. Evaluate the performance of team members, providing feedback, setting goals, conducting performance reviews, and recognising outstanding contributions. Conversely addressing any performance issues promptly and providing constructive feedback.
- Ensuring your team understands their role and responsibility and meet performance targets.
- Lead by example, fostering a positive team culture that encourages open communication, trust, and mutual respect.
- Facilitate team meetings, ensuring they are productive, inclusive, and focused on achieving objectives. Encouraging brainstorming, problem-solving, and decision-making within the team.
- Complete team reporting and status updates.
Subject Matter Expertise (Payroll):
- Have a deep understanding and expertise in payroll processing, legislation and our system capabilities for both Australia and New Zealand.
- Ensure the data in our business management systems (e.g. sales, support, project management, time tracking) is accurate and current.
- Ensuring compliance with regulations and maintaining high-quality standards within the team.
Innovation & Process Improvement:
- Responsible for overseeing specific projects or initiatives related to your subject matter area. Ensure that projects or initiatives are completed on time and within scope, and that they meet the EH goals.
- Constantly review and improve our delivery processes, analyse issues, propose solutions, and collaborate in decisions that align with the EH goals.
- Identify opportunities for improvement and growth and contribute to the development of long-term strategies.
Collaboration & Communication:
- Foster collaboration with other Team Leaders, teams and departments to achieve the EH objectives.
- Be able to convey complex information to team members and stakeholders in a clear and understandable manner.
- Address conflicts and issues within the team, promoting a harmonious working environment.
What you will bring:
- 5+ years of payroll implementations, payroll consulting or payroll management experience.
- 3+ years of managing a team, preferably with some experience managing a remote team.
- High level of written and verbal communication including stakeholder engagement and stakeholder management.
- Proven ability to identify and solve complex issues. This includes troubleshooting, root cause analysis, and collaborating to implement effective solutions.
- Have a deep knowledge of current legislative payroll requirements with Australia and New Zealand.
Life at Employment Hero
At Employment Hero, we're not just working remotely; we're integrating flexibility and global reach into the heart of our daily operations.
We also recognise the value of face-to-face connection, and organise local and global gatherings throughout the year to celebrate our wins and make meaningful connections with our colleagues.
Work your way
Every hero has unique powers. Bound by a common purpose and trust, we encourage each other to work in ways that allow us to bring our best selves to work.
We’ve got your back
Whether you’re a seasoned remote-first pro, or a first-timer, you’re in good company. With 900+ heroes globally, team support and collaboration is at your fingertips.
But don’t just take it from us, here’s a quote from one of our Australian heroes:
“Working for a company that has purpose and meaning is felt throughout the entire business. No one turns up to work just to get paid - we turn up to work because we care and take pride in what we do, but we also know how to create balance and flexibility in the important things in our life, such as family, friends and leading a lifestyle consistent with our values.”
Plus you’ll get to enjoy a number of great perks, including:
- Remote-first and flexible working arrangements
- A generous budget to spend on setting up your home office (if you need a desk, chair, or screen? We’ve got you covered!)
- We set you up for success with the latest and greatest hardware, tools and tech
- Learning and development (including an external study policy, live monthly professional development classrooms, and premium online learning content!)
- Reward and recognition programs - because great work should be recognised and rewarded
- Including Lightning Award for delivering quality work at speed and Values Champion Awards
- Swag app cashback offers and discounts on hundreds of your favourite brands and products
- Self, health, wealth and happiness programs
- Social events and team celebrations
- Employee Share Option Program: be an owner of Employment Hero
- Annual Global Gathering to get to know your global colleagues - so far we’ve been to Thailand, Vietnam and are excited to meet in Bali in September 2024
We also recognise that the same recruitment process doesn’t fit all, so should you require any accommodations or adjustments, simply let us know.
Are we a match?
Upon applying, you can anticipate a thorough review of your application, followed by an engaging interview process. Successful candidates will have the opportunity to meet with relevant stakeholders, gaining valuable insights into the organisation and the role.
Not exactly the right fit for you?
- If you’re excited about Employment Hero, but this role is not the one for you, we encourage you to explore our careers page, packed with many more great opportunities.
- Know someone who would be a great fit? Feel free to share the role with your network!
Note to recruiters: Employment Hero has a dedicated in-house recruitment team who are focused on finding the very best talent for our organisation and we kindly request that recruiters do not contact us regarding assisting with our job vacancies. While we appreciate your interest and expertise, we have everything we need in-house to attract and hire the right candidates for our team. Thank you.