Legal and Privacy Counsel, Europe
Eucalyptus (or 'Euc' for short) is a healthcare technology organisation on a mission to deliver high-touch, high-quality care to millions of patients. We have 4 healthcare brands that form the connective tissue between telehealth consults with doctors, pharmacy delivery and ongoing patient care. Our goal is to provide a differentiated and comprehensive care experience for a wide variety of patients and conditions.
We're well funded, having raised over $100M with our Series C round led by Aussie and US venture capital funds who were early backers of Airbnb, Canva, Uber, and Spotify.
We're not your typical start-up, and we don't want typical candidates either. If you're an out-of-the-box thinker, a trendsetter, a risk-taker, and passionate about making a difference in the world, and be a part of building something extraordinary – keep on reading!
We are looking for a startup savvy Legal Counsel to join us to continue our streak of bringing in and unlocking talent across our German business to work with our UK team across our weight-loss and obesity telehealth brand. Our founding team has done this multiple times and helped scale Australian businesses like Canva and Koala. Our talented team comes from McKinsey, Atlassian, Optiver and Bain, and our lawyers from Ashurst and King & Wood Mallesons, and from many more leading organisations as well as their own startups. The Legal Counsel will be supporting a critical function, focused on de-risking and advising our business toward its next stage of growth and expansion into Europe. We want to be known for what we do now - if you join a Eucalyptus brand you will get the opportunity to tackle big challenges, grow, learn, be supported in your career as you develop here and as you develop your own business in the future. We will equip you with the skills and experiences to make that possible.
Why join Eucalyptus?
We are building the future of accessible, patient-centric healthcare!
We have built a technology platform that brings high touch healthcare into the internet age. We plug into doctors, specialists and pharmacies to provide high quality, convenient health products and services.
Our platform currently has 4 healthcare brands that serve patients with different needs and at all stages of their life.
- Pilot provides men with a safe space to access care for sexual health, hair and weight
- Kin supports a woman’s entire fertility and health journey
- Software makes it easy to access effective anti-aging and acne treatment
- Juniper supports older women through menopause and their weight loss journey
In just 3 years, we have helped over 200,000 patients across our four brands. And yet, we believe we have only scratched the surface of what is possible in digital healthcare.
How do we work at Eucalyptus?
You’ll be surrounded by a world-class team of thinkers, designers, engineers and leaders who are obsessed with three things:
- The health and wellbeing of the average person
- Creating personalised, engaging, convenient user-experiences
- Making healthcare fun and interesting (because it is)
The organisation is flat and decision making happens regularly and rapidly at every level of the business. Ultimately, people are given the freedom to make decisions (and mistakes), and learn from the journey. We like to set goals with the mindset that if we hit them all, we haven’t challenged ourselves enough.
Why you'll thrive here
Here are the highlights:
- Come and experience the growth at one of the fastest growing startups (LinkedIn #5 fastest growing startups in Australia) while we are still small (~250 people).
- Push yourself with challenges that are world-first, unique and exhilarating.
- See the meaningful impact of your work on over tens of thousands of actual users (check out the customers that love us!)
- Learn from some of Australia’s best marketers, engineers, creatives, operations specialists, and medical professionals - joining a diverse team from Atlassian, Canva, Google, Koala, McKinsey, Bain, BuzzFeed, Optiver, Halter and many many more.
- A share in the company (equity), so you are rewarded for your best work.
- And also it goes without saying: hybrid work set-up, parental leave, wellness benefits, employee discounts, social clubs sponsorships, and learning and development budgets for all of our staff.
- Life is too short to not be curious
Euc also offers amazing benefits to our permanent staff based in our London HQ office:
- Hybrid work setup to work flexibly from home, and enjoy time in the office with your colleagues.
- Eucalyptus and brand merchandise designed by our very own in-house creative team.
- Work from the UK and maintain high collaboration with the teams in Australia.
- Drive meaningful impact for tens of thousands of actual patients through your work, helping them live healthier, happier and longer lives
- Offer a competitive remuneration package plus government contributions
- Fun office parties and team dinners so you can bond with your team regularly
As a Legal Counsel at Euc, you will be required to:
- Work closely with the UK strategy, ops and AU legal teams as we support accelerated growth of our brands and patient volume in initially Germany and then the EU;
- Research, draft and advise on legal issues that arise with our day to day business operations;
- Monitor changes in the regulatory, legal and technological environments to ensure Euc's legal strategy continues to remain relevant with changing trends and business needs;
- Be a trusted advisor on the legal requirements regarding health, advertising regulations in healthcare, pharmacy law, regulations and best-practice and its crossroads with technology including a strong understanding and experience with data-privacy and the GDPR (noting that we have our parent in Australia and another subsidiary in the UK);
- Be willing to work as a skilled generalist across employment law, IP and IT, general contract and commercial law;
- Work part remotely and in office without compromising productivity or responsiveness;
- Respond to the ad-hoc and day to day needs of internal stakeholders between the customer experience, engineering, design ops and growth teams;
- Review, draft and develop contracts, from advisor agreements, collaboration agreements, supplier agreements and other commercial legal docs;
- Draft research commentaries and contribute to consolidating knowledge bites to our UK legal advice bank on new areas;
- Report to our Head of Legal in Sydney, Australia with a dotted-line to our Head of UK, London;
- Demonstrate an ability to coordinate, project manage and engage stakeholders to become a future Head of Legal EU once we expand regionally;
- Be willing to do what's needed to support your team in legal and Euc generally, and have fun doing it!
- Willing to across the EU - you’re willing to travel on a needs basis throughout the EU if required (up to 10%)
- Clear communicator - your communication style brings clarity and momentum, even through complexity;
- Analytical thinker - you're able to spend time researching new areas, consolidate that information, and present it back in a clear and concise way;
- Collaborator - you enjoy being part of and working within the demands and needs of a team, both within legal and with other stakeholders to offer solutions to sometimes complex problems;
- Passionate operator - you're able to work reliably within ambiguity both autonomously and with your team;
- Flexibility - you’re ok with being flexible with work hours when dealing with team members residing overseas as part of being part of a growing, global company;
- Enthusiastic - you enjoy meaningful work and building relationships within the business;
- Passionate - your energy to help people improve their health is infectious;
- Considerate you understand that a lawyers' role in a startup is to inform, advise and recommend so decision makers are confident with the information before them;
- High achiever - you've been either top-or mid-tier law firm trained, or otherwise can demonstrate a technical skill and commercial acumen that makes you a head turner, but you're ready to leave ego at the door.
- 3-5+ years experience in a top-or mid-tier commercial or corporate law firm or in-house practice.
- Ability and willingness to act as Eucalyptus’ Data Protection Officer (DPO);
- Be our resident expert on all things GDPR and data protection keeping in mind the EU-UK-AU connection.
- Excellent drafting and communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple competing tasks in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Ability to leverage technical expertise and analytical skills to respond to and advise on complex legal issues.
- Experience working part remotely and in office without productivity deficits.
- Demonstrated ability to research, draft contracts and be super responsive to in-house or external clients.
Bonus points if you have:
- Tech / startup experience, or healthcare exposure
- Are EU multi-lingual, and able to speak English, German, and French.
- Experience being a super-user of agile tech like Slack, Notion and ClickUp
Something looks off?