Suborbital Launch Vehicle GUIDANCE, NAVIGATION & CONTROL (GNC) ENGINEER
Gilmour Space Technologies
You've successfully completed your application
All Orbits, All Planets - Join us on our journey
Gilmour Space is the leading Australian rocket company, pioneering next-generation hybrid propulsion technologies for small satellite launch vehicles.
As a GNC Engineer, you will be responsible for designing algorithms and implementing flight-critical software for rocket systems. Through collaborating with a talented team, you will develop, analyse, test, and operate various systems. You will be responsible for documentation and communicating across teams to ensure duties are performed in an efficient and timely manner whilst adhering to Gilmour Space policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The responsibilities listed are not exhaustive, they represent examples of the work performed by this position. You will be required to perform other duties within your skills and abilities.
- Develop innovative Guidance, Navigation and Control (GNC) systems. Support flight software qualification testing.
- Perform testing and analysis of GNC software, including hardware-in-the-loop (HITL) testing, Monte Carlo analysis and integration testing and unit testing.
- Assist in developing verification and validation procedures to ensure software products will meet system and subsystem requirements.
- Participate in multi-disciplinary trade-study investigations and design studies that define system requirements and architectures.
- Develop 6-DOF dynamics simulation models used for GNC systems analysis and validation.
- Analyse trajectories, flight stability and performance dispersions.
- Support post flight data review and analyses for the continuous improvement of predictions.
- Act as a mentor to junior engineers, where appropriate.
- Other duties as requested by Management
Minimum Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s (B.S.) degree in Mechanical, Electrical, or Aerospace / Aeronautical Engineering or relevant STEM degree.
- 3+ years’ experience with the design, implementation and test of GNC algorithms.
- Current Negative Vetting 2 Security Clearance is preferred, but we are open to the right candidate with a Current Negative Vetting 1 (must be willing to upgrade)
Desired Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Proficient in MATLAB, SIMULINK, and C++ software development.
- Demonstrated experience with developing and tuning GNC algorithms.
- Experience with control systems, orbital mechanics, classical dynamics, aerodynamics, sensors and actuators, modelling, and simulation.
- Ability to solve complex problems with little to no supervision, as an individual or as a member of an integrated team.
- Excellent technical writing and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability in time management, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to rapidly change roles/responsibilities while working in a high-paced, challenging work environment.
- Passion for advancing the commercial space industry.
- Proven ability to prioritise and manage work demands and deliver outcomes
- Self-motivated, results oriented with a high level of attention to detail.
- Demonstrated commitment to health and safety, quality assurance, continuous improvement, and environmental management.
Policies and Procedures
All Gilmour Space policies and procedures form part of all Employees’ terms of engagement and position descriptions. Employees of Gilmour Space are to ensure compliance with all company policies and procedures as updated from time to time. On occasion you may be required to attend training on policies and procedures.
How to Apply:
You will be joining a team that is working together to achieve the unimaginable for human access to space. You will be encouraged to reach your highest potential through continuous learning and embracing change.
If you are a proactive team player with a passion for space and a desire to succeed, please apply now by clicking the apply button and including your resume and cover letter.
Gilmour Space Technologies is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all team members.
You have successfully applied for this job!
Something looks off?