Launch Vehicles MECHANICAL ENGINEER
Gilmour Space Technologies
You've successfully completed your application
All Orbits, All Planets - Join us on our journey
Gilmour Space is the leading Australian rocket company, pioneering next-generation hybrid propulsion technologies for small satellite launch vehicles.
The Mechanical Engineer will work in Helensvale where they will support other Launch Site team members in Bowen, QLD. They will collaborate with other engineering teams to design and maintain mechanisms, structures, and testing hardware for ground segment systems, as required by the schedule.
Specifically, this role is to progress the design, assembly, and commissioning of hardware such as rocket erector / launch tower, rocket hold down and release mechanisms, and other mechanical and process ground support equipment. You will document and communicate across teams to ensure duties are performed in an efficient and timely manner whilst adhering to Gilmour Space policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The responsibilities listed are not exhaustive, they represent examples of the work performed by this position.
- Design custom hardware and maintain existing documentation.
- Design ground segment structures and mechanisms using CAD and FEA software.
- Create detailed engineering drawings the communicate design intent.
- Develop and maintain existing design and project documentation.
- Develop specifications and interface with external manufacturers.
- Analyse and interpret data collected during testing.
- Develop and maintain maintenance schedules and data for mechanical and process systems.
- Other duties as requested by management.
Minimum Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Structural Engineering.
- 2+ years of Mechanical or Structural design and drafting experience (including internships or personal projects) preferably in heavy industry.
- NV1 Security Clearance eligible preferred.
Desired Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Structural design of large structures (cranes, mining, or other heavy engineering plant).
- Familiarity with hydraulics systems.
- Ability to manage large assembly models and drawings.
- Solid understanding and application of GD&T.
- Familiarity with welded structures and design approaches.
- Ability to work well in an integrated team including daily interactions with technicians, engineers, and managers.
- Creative problem solver that can bring multiple disciplines together.
- Self-motivated with strong multi-tasking, organizational, communication and documentation skills.
Policies and Procedures
All Gilmour Space policies and procedures form part of all Employees’ terms of engagement and position descriptions. Employees of Gilmour Space are to ensure compliance with all company policies and procedures as updated from time to time. On occasion you may be required to attend training on policies and procedures.
You have successfully applied for this job!
Something looks off?