Head of Facilities
Goterra is a Canberra based ag-tech startup company building sustainable solutions to the critical global challenges of food waste and climate change. At our head office in Hume, we design and build modular infrastructure (MIB) to process food waste using insects. Our diverse and multidisciplinary team has expertise in engineering, manufacturing, software, electronics, agriculture and biology.
We are looking for a Head of Facilities with proven experience in a Facilities and/or Production Management position in the Black Soldier Fly and/or Mealworms commercial insect production environment to join our team based at our head office in Hume, ACT.
The Head of Facilities is a senior member of the Goterra Executive Team reporting directly to the CEO, and is responsible for the leadership of the Facilities and Production functions, delivering all of the company’s waste management and insect farming capability at multiple regional locations. They have strategic oversight of waste management infrastructure and services and insect production activities across all Goterra sites and are responsible for the leadership of Goterra Facilities and Production staff.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Develop the Strategic Plan and management of all Goterra infrastructure and facilities
- Manage the design, development, and execution of facilities required to deliver insect farming capabilities for the production of insect larvae to process food waste
- Operational oversight of all of Goterra production and plant facilities including managing the installation and utilisation of Goterra’s modular units, insect farming, and waste management infrastructure, at Goterra and customer sites
- Develop and implement systems and programs to forecast, plan, and manage the company’s waste processing and insect breeding capability in line with strategic business goals, to meet strategic growth objectives.
- Implement systems to forecast, plan, and manage the company’s waste processing and insect breeding facilities and budget, including designing and reporting on metrics and setting targets
- Building systems and processes to increase efficiencies of waste processing and commercial insect farming practices through continuous improvement.
- Develop and implement insect production facilities and services systems to ensure targets are met with regard to waste management, output, quality, cost, time, staffing, and customer commitments.
- Working with Goterra’s manufacturing and engineering team to design and develop the facilities necessary to execute systems for the servicing and maintenance of Goterra’s plant and machinery, including modular robotic units
- Focus on and participate in the national/ international regulatory framework within the Insect Field to ensure Goterra is at the forefront of technology.
- Lead and advise the Research and Development Team of processes and products to ensure Goterra remains a market leader
- Responsible for full fiscal management of the Goterra Facilities and Production functions through management of all Capex and Opex budgets and reporting Monthly on Management accounts
- Ensure that products and processes comply with the Feedsafe Act within the confines of Australia and manage the implementation of all other legislative compliance for the markets of final product inclusion
- Collaborating with the Executive Team on Goterra’s strategy and vision, and setting yearly project and program goals
Essential Skills and Requirements:
- Appropriate qualifications in Biology, Agriculture, Engineering, Project Management, or similar field, and/or at least 5 years of highly relevant work experience
- Proven experience in a Facilities and/or Production Management position in the Black Soldier Fly and/or Mealworms commercial insect production environment
- Proven ability to develop and lead autonomous cross-functional teams in a commercial insect facility
- Leadership experience with responsibility across full cycle of operational functions, including waste, production and product
- Proven skills and ability in developing and executing management systems, e.g lean manufacturing, HACCP, GMP, and Quality Assurance programs
- Comprehensive knowledge of issues around compliance, standards, regulation, codes of practice and the ability to interpret policies and procedures
- A strategic mindset and a passion for driving sustainability in the insect farming industry
- Demonstrated proven success driving operational excellence through continuous improvement
- Strong skills in communicating complex issues with a diverse range of stakeholders
- Proven product development/product management skills and experience
You must have the right to live and work in this location for this position
- Benefits of working at Goterra:
- Goterra is a leading waste management technology startup that was instrumental in developing national regulation for insect protein production - we’re leading the way in this emerging industry
- Be part of a diverse and multidisciplinary team doing exciting and ground breaking work, alongside people who believe in what they’re doing and are aligned in mission and purpose
- You'll be paid above award rates, with generous conditions including paid employer parental leave, welfare packs, leave to volunteer in your community, the opportunity to take part on our ESOP scheme, and great learning and development opportunities
- You'll have the chance to make a real impact on stopping one of the leading causes of climate change, every day. Literally, we’re doing it right now, as you read this