Goterra is a Canberra based Ag-tech startup company building sustainable solutions to the critical global challenges of food waste and climate change. At our headquarters in Hume, we design and build modular robotic infrastructure (MIB) that uses insects to manage food waste. Our diverse, multidisciplinary team has expertise in engineering, manufacturing, software, electronics, agriculture and biology.
We're expanding our operations and seeking passionate and motivated individuals to join our Waste Operations team at our new facility in Wetherill Park NSW. Flexible hours are on offer between the hours of 7am-7pm, Monday to Sunday. If you're looking for a positive and engaged workplace environment with rewarding and meaningful work this could be the job for you!
Goterra’s Waste Operators are key members of the Facilities team, responsible for managing and processing incoming food waste. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Manual handling of solid and liquid organic (food) waste material
- Manually removing contaminants from the waste stream e.g. glass, soft plastics and metal
- Sorting and separating general waste, recycling and organic waste into individual piles and recording the information into the company digital database
- Managing the processing of waste from received through to de-packaging, maceration and delivery to MIB storage units
- Operating waste handling machinery eg forklift, tractor, conveyor, de-packaging machine and performing autonomous maintenance
- Enjoy learning and are looking to engage in multi-disciplinary teams;
- Get enjoyment from complex problem solving;
- Are looking for agency in your role, and want to take ownership of your tasks;
- Believe in diversity and the importance of giving all team members a voice;
- and are looking for rewarding and impactful work
this could be the opportunity for you!
The ideal candidate will have a background or interest in waste management, believe in our mission, and align with our purpose and values. Ideally, you will meet the role-specific requirements; if not, we still want to hear from you, if you think you have what it takes
- The ability to meet the physical requirements of the position, e.g. some lifting up to 20kgs, being on your feet for the duration of the shift
- Ability to work handling organic waste within an odour producing environment
- Ability to manage your own workflow by moving between work stations throughout the day to ensure that the waste is processed efficiently
- Digital literacy skills - a Smartphone is required to communicate with team members and for managing tasks through the applications Slack and Asana
- Possession of (or working towards obtaining) a Forklift License highly desirable
- A valid, clean Driver’s licence (manual highly regarded) and reliable transport
- No formal qualifications are required however experience working within a waste operations environment will be highly regarded
You must have unrestricted rights to live and work in this location to apply for this job and be able to pass a successful Proof Of Identity and Right To Work In Australia 100 Point Identification Check
Feel that could be the perfect role for you but the description isn’t an exact match for your skills? Please apply anyway - we would love to hear from you
Benefits of working at Goterra:
- Goterra is a leading waste management technology startup that was instrumental in developing national regulation for insect protein production - we’re leading the way in this emerging industry
- Be part of a diverse and multidisciplinary team doing exciting and ground breaking work, alongside people who believe in what they’re doing and are aligned in mission and purpose
- You'll be paid above award rates, with generous conditions including paid employer parental leave, welfare packs, leave to volunteer in your community, the opportunity to take part on our ESOP scheme, and great learning and development opportunities
- You'll have the chance to make a real impact on stopping one of the leading causes of climate change, every day. Literally, we’re doing it right now, as you read this
We pride ourselves on being an inclusive organisation and encourage applications from anyone with passion for our mission, particularly women, veterans, people with disability, the LGBTIQ+ community, and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
Something looks off?