Junior technician Mechanical
Goterra is a Canberra based Ag-tech startup company building sustainable solutions to the critical global challenges of food waste and climate change. At our headquarters in Hume, we design and build modular robotic infrastructure (MIB) that uses insects to manage food waste. Our diverse, multidisciplinary team has expertise in engineering, manufacturing, software, electronics, agriculture and biology.
The role of the Junior Technician is to support Technicians and Tradespeople to undertake duties relating to the manufacture of Goterra’s robotic machinery, and to support the maintenance and operations of Goterra’s plant.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Assembling machinery components based on engineering drawings.
- Working under the instruction of Technicians to modify machine parts and components.
- Undertaking reactive maintenance of mechanical equipment such as unblocking pipes and pumps.
- Working alongside Technicians and Engineers to help solve mechanical issues.
- Undertaking routine manufacturing tasks such as screwing in bolts.
- Some administrative tasks such as purchasing, reporting and record keeping
- Proactively communicating with the team regarding work activities and progress.
- Cleaning and maintaining workspace and equipment.
- Working with team members to ensure project deliverables and deadlines are met.
- Carrying out all duties in line with Goterra’s policies, processes, and procedures.
- Other duties as reasonably required
- Must be competent and confident using hand and power tools without supervision.
- Aptitude and capability for practical mechanical problem solving, and a commitment to learning and developing these skills.
- The ability and/or aptitude to read and interpret engineering drawings,
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to proactively use communication skills to interact with other members of the tech team
- A positive “can do” attitude and a commitment to working with other members of the team to get the job done
- The ability to use initiative to perform duties as directed with minimal supervision, while also following instruction and protocol.
- Flexibility - this is a fast paced role which requires the ability to quickly adapt to changing requirements.
- The ability to meet the physical requirements of the role, e.g. some lifting up to 20kgs may be required, and the position requires being on your feet for the duration of the shift.
- Digital literacy skills - a mobile phone is required to communicate with team members and for task management through the applications Slack and Asana.
- A valid driver’s licence and reliable transport
- General fabrication skills such as grinding and welding.
ACADEMIC OR TRADE QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
- CIT qualifications or equivalent preferred but not essential
- Will consider recently graduated Mechatronics or Mechanical engineers
WORK EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Some work experience in an engineering or construction environment will be highly regarded
Benefits of working at Goterra:
- Goterra is a leading waste management technology startup that was instrumental in developing national regulation for insect protein production - we’re leading the way in this emerging industry
- Be part of a diverse and multidisciplinary team doing exciting and ground breaking work, alongside people who believe in what they’re doing and are aligned in mission and purpose
- We offer a competitive salary, with generous conditions including paid employer parental leave, welfare packs, leave to volunteer in your community, the opportunity to take part on our ESOP scheme, and great learning and development opportunities.
- You'll have the chance to make a real impact on stopping one of the leading causes of climate change, every day. Literally, we’re doing it right now, as you read this
We pride ourselves on being an inclusive organisation and encourage applications from anyone with passion for our mission, particularly from women, veterans, people with disability, the LGBTIQ+ community, and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds