Farm & Livestock Hand - Insect Farming
We're a small, ambitious team working on ground breaking technology and we’re seeking motivated, energised farm technicians. If you’re seeking to engage in a role that contributes to the advancement of sustainable farming systems. And are interested in a genuine career opportunity with a fast moving, innovative company then this position is for you.
At Goterra, our mission is to manage food waste using insects. And we do this, onsite, in modular, mobile insect farms. We’re a fast moving company with a strong focus on results and customer experience. We’re looking for a competent individual to join our team to build our ground-breaking insect farming processes and procedures.
We are based in Canberra ACT. On offer is a hard working, unique workplace environment where you will be exposed to diverse projects and processes that will culminate in a professionally satisfying career. We’re focused on increasing our production capacity, building our ground breaking technology and maintaining long-term partnerships with clients. As a team we’re committed to our core values of consistency, customers and innovation.
The role carries responsibility for executing the processes and procedural systems for the farming of insects in the Goterra Modular Unit.
Within that broad brief, specific tasks include:
- Managing production, growth targets and health and wellbeing of our growing commercial colony in consultation with the team
- Assisting all members of the production teams in daily operations.
- Working with team leads to ensure projects meet deadlines
- Monitoring the day-to-day data entry for accuracy and efficiency
- Collection and processing of insects through the life cycle
- Management of sampling for quality assurance and testing,
- Conducting insect biology assays,
- Development and management of insect farming data protocols.
- Management of feed sources, including food waste, to insect colonies
- Collecting, processing and management of food wastes
- Upkeep of farming facilities, equipment and systems.
- Cleaning and maintaining work areas and equipment
- Inventory management and ordering as required.
- Provide constructive feedback to elevate the team.
- Overseeing all incoming and outgoing project documentations
- Liaising with team to make decisions for operational activities and set strategic goals.
ADDITIONAL ROLE REQUIREMENTS
- Some weekend work and reasonable overtime is required.
- Be prepared to support the business as part of a small team.
Predominantly a Canberra based role, there will be a requirement for some travel in the first year to complete regular short swings of onsite system commissioning within NSW and Queensland.
Your Skills and Experience
- The successful candidate must be passionate about their profession, take pride in their work and extract great satisfaction from completing innovative solutions that advance objectives.
Preferred but not required:
- Experience working with insects in a closed, laboratory or farm environment.
- Laboratory or research data collection
Personal attributes essential for success in the role include:
- Strong skills in communicating complex issues with a diverse range of stakeholders
- The capability to multitask effectively under pressure
- Detail oriented
- A team player attitude, sharing information and assisting others to achieve common objectives
Benefits of working at Goterra:
- Goterra is a leading waste management technology startup that was instrumental in developing national regulation for insect protein production - we’re leading the way in this emerging industry
- Be part of a diverse and multidisciplinary team doing exciting and ground breaking work, alongside people who believe in what they’re doing and are aligned in mission and purpose
- We offer a competitive salary, with generous conditions including paid employer parental leave, welfare packs, leave to volunteer in your community, the opportunity to take part on our ESOP scheme, and great learning and development opportunities.
- You'll have the chance to make a real impact on stopping one of the leading causes of climate change, every day. Literally, we’re doing it right now, as you read this
We pride ourselves on being an inclusive organisation and encourage applications from anyone with passion for our mission, particularly from women, veterans, people with disability, the LGBTIQ+ community, and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds