Senior Software Engineer (AWS, Python)
Gridcog provides advanced software to plan, simulate and optimise decentralised energy projects. Our software is used by large energy suppliers, energy project developers, technology providers and large energy users. We have a loyal and growing customer base across Australia, and are expanding to the UK and Europe.
We believe the future of energy is distributed, smart and clean, and that we can use software to accelerate decarbonisation and to help tackle climate change.
We're a fast growing technology startup and we want to have a global impact. We are looking for smart, savvy and curious learners to join our team and to help invent new technology to lead the world into a decentralised energy future.
About the role:
We’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer with strong Python and AWS experience. Our platform runs on AWS, with a React app fronting a variety of backend services and systems. These include services for managing assets, designing projects, collecting and aggregating live data feeds from APIs and other sources, orchestrating and running compute-intensive simulations, and drilling into the resulting data and value flows.
Your team’s focus will be building and owning services managing simulations, including data requirements, processing, outputs and results.
Our ideal candidate has:
- Demonstrated experience with software engineering in an AWS environment, using Python, TypeScript/Node
- Familiarity with data engineering tools, and data processing with pandas, numpy and similar.
- Experience with a range of database technologies, both SQL and NoSQL - such as Dynamo, Mongo, postgres
- Familiarity with a broad range of AWS services, IaC and serverless event-driven architectures
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Solid foundation in software design, data structures and algorithms
- Ability to work collaboratively in both in-person and remote work environments
- Knowledge and working experience with DevOps, monitoring tools, automated testing and CI/CD tools and processes
- Experience of building great software products with a customer-centric approach and balancing technical decisions with user needs and commercial constraints.
- A background in energy markets, scientific computing, or financial markets modelling likely to be beneficial
- A growth mind-set, experience with startup SaaS, and an interest in the energy system transition all greatly beneficial.
What you’ll do:
- Join an awesome team working on the exciting area of simulation software, and enabling customers to solve complex energy & financial modelling problems
- Collaborate closely and cooperatively with your technical and non-technical teams to work towards the best solution that maximises value to the customer.
- Own, scope and deliver well defined tasks or stories. Communicate and update your progress regularly at stand-ups, and via github/linear/slack
- Contribute to a culture of code quality and implement automated unit and integration testing as part of software build.
- Apply good security processes such as threat modelling to the code you develop.
- Actively participate in deployment by reviewing Pull Requests from other team members and maintaining CI/CD pipelines.
- Grow your knowledge of architecture, modern engineering principles and design patterns.
- Assess the business value of new technologies and technical solutions using a data-driven approach and contribute to their adoption into the product life cycle.
- Active participation in knowledge sharing activities, both within the team and with wider non-technical audiences.
- Competitive salary package aligned with experience and skills.
- Opportunity to work in a remote-first business with flexible working arrangements.
- Weekly opportunities for in-person collaboration at co-working spaces and an annual whole company retreat.
- Join a high-performing, unapologetic energy and tech nerd team to tackle significant challenges.
- Engage in a high-trust distributed team environment that values innovation and creative problem-solving.
- Contribute to the decarbonisation of the world's energy system.
- Time and budget support for ongoing professional and personal development.
- Opportunity for ESOP participation