(Senior) Data Engineer
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2022
The future of food production hinges on an important question: How do we feed the world’s growing population without compromising our natural resources? Farmers feed our population and hold the keys to vital climate solutions. At Halter, we’re on a mission to enable farmers to run the most productive and sustainable farms. Farmers are using Halter to break free from the time-intensive constraints of conventional farming. They’re growing more grass, increasing milk production and improving the health and wellbeing of their cows.
We bridge deep tech into farming. Halter enables farmers to remotely shift, virtually fence and proactively monitor their cows’ health and behaviour. Can you imagine watching 500 dairy cows turn in unison and walk calmly towards the milking shed? No quad bikes, no dogs, no fences. Just a mob of cows walking at their own pace. People say it looks like magic. Our customers are revolutionizing farming with Halter. It's changing lives and transforming an industry.
People join Halter because they want to do meaningful work. By joining us you’ll be solving challenging problems within a talented team and a culture built for high performance. Our team out-think, out-work and out-care. We’re committed to delivering real change in the world - this isn’t easy, and in truth, we love that it’s hard. We’re backed to deliver on a mission that matters by Tier 1 investors including Bessemer Venture Partners, DCVC, Blackbird, Promus Ventures, Rocket Lab’s Peter Beck and Icehouse ventures.
About the role
One of the most valuable things we provide to farmers is proactive health monitoring and reproductive cycle tracking. These products are powered by multiple machine learning components as well as heuristics derived from deep domain knowledge. You will be working in the Health and Reproduction teams at Halter that own each of these products respectively. These are agile, cross-functional teams consisting of data scientists, frontend and backend software engineers, product and design specialists, and (hopefully) you! Your role will be to support these teams in their ongoing R&D into improvements to the products as well as the deployment of new models into our production environment.
Some examples include:
- Gaining a full understanding of the needs of the Health and Reproduction teams via close communication and deep domain knowledge. Get ready to learn more than you ever wanted to know about cow health and reproduction!
- Building pipelines to ingest new data from internal and/or external sources and deliver it to our data lake.
- With support from the senior data and backend engineers, designing the software architecture for the deployment of new machine learning products into our production environment.
- Building these solutions in alignment with industry best-practice and our internal standards i.e. use Infrastructure-as-Code for all resources, designed with Cost, Scalability, Availability, and Security in mind.
In addition, there’s a lot we expect from any engineer at Halter:
- Maintain high levels of communication with your team and other stakeholders about product requirements, timelines, risks, and priorities.
- Join your teammates in ensuring your systems are always available and responsive, as part of our on-call roster, following good reliability engineering practices. You build it, you own it.
- Stay up-to-date with your area of expertise and ensure the team is aware of new technological advances and better ways of working.
- Promote best practices and new technologies among your peers to help nurture a world-class data and engineering culture.
- And finally, this is a start-up, so you’ll also be rolling your sleeves up and helping with whatever is desired to succeed in our mission, knowing that your whole organisation is with you doing the same.
Who are we looking for:
- An excellent track record working as a data engineer, with examples of outcomes that you have accomplished and feel meaningful for you
- Strong Python and SQL skills
- Good knowledge of AWS services
- Experience with Terraform would be hugely beneficial
- Someone who is product oriented and cares deeply about customer experience, being able to solve real-life customer problems
- Sound understanding of how to develop testable systems and write great automated tests
- Understanding of common development processes such as version control, continuous integration/delivery, code reviews, and pair programming
Why our team loves working at Halter:
- Dedicate yourself to solving real-world problems alongside an epic team in a culture designed around growth.
- A genuine and shared connection to our mission to make a difference in the world.
- The pride of joining an iconic New Zealand technology company.
- The excitement, risk, and reward of a high-growth technology scale-up on the global stage.
- Our ideas are truly valued, we are able to move fast, and our impact is real.
- State-of-the-art, dog-friendly office that’s been thoughtfully designed right in the heart of Auckland city. Did we mention dogs and cows?
- Healthy body, healthy mind. We’re partnered with Southern Cross Health Insurance to support your well-being.
- We offer 6 months of fully paid parental leave for primary caregivers, 4 weeks of fully paid secondary caregiver leave and many other parental benefits that support you and your family.
- Our personal growth is important. Halter offers an annual $1000 self-development budget to be used for anything that fuels personal growth.
- Our time to recharge is valued, we’re offered wellness leave and unlimited paid annual leave.
- We offer an inclusive and attractive remuneration package made up of salary, benefits and an employee stock ownership plan.
- Delicious snacks and drinks are available for your daily flow.
Halter is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive workplace — a place where we can each be ourselves and do the best work of our lives. Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the requirements, women and under-represented groups of candidates tend to only apply when they meet every requirement. If you think you have what it takes but don’t necessarily tick every requirement on this job description, please still get in touch and apply to Halter. We’d love to chat to see if you’ll be an epic fit!
Our Office First Approach
We do have flexible working hours and you can work from home when you need to but we encourage our team to be in the office as much as you can.
We have an office-first approach because we would like to keep the opportunity for teams to have spontaneous interactions which in turn has allowed our team at Halter to foster strong relationships. Stronger relationships make it easier to disagree, give feedback, do meaningful work and as a result be higher performing as a team.
Join our team
If this opportunity sounds like you, please apply below by sending through your cover letter explaining why you’re excited about this role and working at Halter, along with your CV, and we’ll be in touch!