Hardware Reliability Engineer
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted on Thursday, March 2, 2023
The future of food production hinges on an important question: How do we feed the world’s growing population without compromising our natural resources? Farmers feed our population and hold the keys to vital climate solutions. At Halter, we’re on a mission to enable farmers to run the most productive and sustainable farms. Farmers are using Halter to break free from the time-intensive constraints of conventional farming. They’re growing more grass, increasing milk production and improving the health and wellbeing of their cows.
We bridge deep tech into farming. Halter enables farmers to remotely shift, virtually fence and proactively monitor their cows’ health and behaviour. Can you imagine watching 500 dairy cows turn in unison and walk calmly towards the milking shed? No quad bikes, no dogs, no fences. Just a mob of cows walking at their own pace. People say it looks like magic. Our customers are revolutionizing farming with Halter. It's changing lives and transforming an industry.
People join Halter because they want to do meaningful work. By joining us you’ll be solving challenging problems within a talented team and a culture built for high performance. Our team out-think, out-work and out-care. We’re committed to delivering real change in the world - this isn’t easy, and in truth, we love that it’s hard. We’re backed to deliver on a mission that matters by Tier 1 investors including Bessemer Venture Partners, DCVC, Blackbird, Promus Ventures, Rocket Lab’s Peter Beck and Icehouse ventures.
About the role
Do you enjoy breaking things? Halter is on the hunt for a meticulous Hardware Reliability Engineer to join the Auckland team! You will be responsible for developing, testing, and validating innovative products that must maintain an exceptional level of reliability across a range of unique environments.
At Halter, we are on a mission to develop incredibly robust products that exceed our customer’s expectations for durability and reliability. If you have an analytical mindset, exceptional attention to detail, and a relentless drive to improve designs and processes through thorough testing and data-driven analysis, this is the role for you.
What your day could look like
- Developing and performing environmental, mechanical, and electrical stress testing processes.
- Performing failure analysis to consistently and efficiently identify root cause.
- Application of Design of Experiments and Failure Modes and Effects Analysis.
- Utilizing data analysis techniques to highlight and monitor key reliability improvement areas through extensive accelerated life and in-field testing.
- Developing and leading validation plans across a diverse range of projects.
- Working closely with our team of highly skilled multi-disciplinary engineers to cultivate and validate innovative design solutions.
- Test fixture design, data acquisition development, and commissioning.
Who we’re looking for
- Bachelors/Masters in Mechanical, Electronics, or Manufacturing Engineering or a relevant technical discipline.
- 5+ years of proven experience in a hardware reliability, test, and validation-orientated role.
- Strong understanding of design and failure modes of consumer electronics.
- Extensive experience testing products designed for use in harsh outdoor environments.
- Highly experienced in developing, implementing, and maintaining reliability tests, such as Highly Accelerated Life Testing (HALT) and Highly Accelerated Stress Screening (HASS).
- Ability to effectively execute multiple projects and collaborate in a team environment.
- Strong motivation to support our mission as a company!
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Someone who will thrive in a self-motivated and demanding startup atmosphere, sometimes requiring extended hours.
- Someone who is positive, proactive, and relishes hard problems.
Why our team loves working at Halter
- A genuine and shared connection to our mission to make a difference in the world.
- The excitement, risk, and reward of a high-growth technology scale-up.
- The pride of joining an iconic New Zealand technology company growing successfully on the global stage.
- The opportunity to work with and grow together with an enthusiastic, and highly gifted team with diverse backgrounds.
- The opportunity to supercharge your career in a supportive and caring environment.
- Our ideas are truly valued, we are able to move fast, and our impact is real.
- State-of-the-art, dog-friendly office that’s been thoughtfully designed right in the heart of Auckland city. Did we mention dogs and cows?
- Delicious snacks and drinks are available for your daily flow.
- Healthy body, healthy mind. We’re partnered with Southern Cross Health Insurance to support your well-being.
- We offer 6 months of fully paid parental leave for primary caregivers, 4 weeks of fully paid secondary caregiver leave and many other parental benefits that support you and your family.
- Our personal growth is important. Halter offers an annual $1000 self-development budget to be used for anything that fuels personal growth.
- Our time to recharge is valued, we’re offered wellness leave and unlimited paid annual leave.
- We offer an inclusive and attractive remuneration package made up of salary, benefits and an employee stock ownership plan.
Halter is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive workplace — a place where we can each be ourselves and do the best work of our lives. Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the requirements, women and under-represented groups of candidates tend to only apply when they meet every requirement. If you think you have what it takes but don’t necessarily tick every requirement on this job description, please still get in touch and apply to Halter. We’d love to chat to see if you’ll be an epic fit!
Our Office First Approach
We do have flexible working hours and you can work from home when you need to but we encourage our team to be in the office as much as you can.
We have an office-first approach because we would like to keep the opportunity for teams to have spontaneous interactions which in turn has allowed our team at Halter to foster strong relationships. Stronger relationships make it easier to disagree, give feedback, do meaningful work and as a result be higher performing as a team.
Join our team
If this opportunity sounds like you, please apply below by sending through your cover letter explaining why you’re excited about this role and working at Halter, along with your CV, and we’ll be in touch!