Experienced Mechanical Engineer
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted on Friday, June 2, 2023
The future of food production hinges on an important question: How do we feed the world’s growing population without compromising our natural resources? Farmers feed our population and hold the keys to vital climate solutions. At Halter, we’re on a mission to enable farmers to run the most productive and sustainable farms. Farmers are using Halter to break free from the time-intensive constraints of conventional farming. They’re growing more grass, increasing production and improving the health and wellbeing of their cattle.
We bridge deep tech into farming. Halter enables farmers to remotely shift, virtually fence and proactively monitor their cows’ health and behaviour. Can you imagine watching 500 dairy cows turn in unison and walk calmly towards the milking shed? Or beef cattle, behind virtual fences, happily grazing with their calves? No quad bikes, no dogs, no fences. Just a mob of cows walking at their own pace. People say it looks like magic. Our customers are revolutionizing farming with Halter. It's changing lives and transforming an industry.
People join Halter because they want to do meaningful work. By joining us you’ll be solving challenging problems within a talented team and a culture built for high performance. Our team out-think, out-work and out-care. We’re committed to delivering real change in the world - this isn’t easy, and in truth, we love that it’s hard. We’re backed to deliver on a mission that matters by Tier 1 investors including Bessemer Venture Partners, DCVC, Blackbird, Promus Ventures, Rocket Lab’s Peter Beck and Icehouse ventures.
About the role
Halter is looking for an experienced Mechanical Engineer. We're open to hiring someone who is at a senior, lead, staff or principal level with a proven track record of designing and developing bulletproof products that must perform flawlessly in extreme environmental conditions. Our world-class mechanical engineers specialise in developing hardware where achieving the optimal fusion between ergonomics and functionality is essential to success. We constantly strive to utilise the latest rapid prototyping, testing and manufacturing technologies to push concepts through from conceptualisation to high-volume production.
What your day could look like
- Rapid hands-on development delivering robust electro-mechanical products through to production.
- Design for Manufacture (DFM) and Design for Assembly (DFA) woven into product development.
- Collaborating with external suppliers to optimise designs and streamline manufacturing processes.
- Working with and supporting other mechanical engineers, contributing to your teammates’ success, challenging the team to continuously test and improve, and encouraging collaboration.
- Maintaining high levels of communication with the broader hardware team regarding product requirements, integration, timelines, risks, and priorities.
- Staying up-to-date with your area of expertise and ensuring the team is aware of new technological advances and better ways of working.
- And finally, this is a start-up, so you’ll also be rolling your sleeves up and helping with whatever is required.
Who we’re looking for
- A Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering or a similar field is highly desired.
- 5+ years of professional experience specifically working on robust consumer/commercial electronics hardware, with a deep understanding of system-level architecture and tradeoffs (mechanical, thermal, manufacturability, power, reliability, cost, etc.).
- Proven experience designing robust mechanical components and assemblies for mass production, specifically injection moulded parts.
- Expert in 3D CAD and 2D drafting, preferably using Solidworks.
- Outstanding understanding of the core mechanical and material fundamentals.
- Pragmatic and detail-orientated approach to the testing and validation of designs.
- A positive person, who seeks ownership and is a self-motivated problem solver.
- Interested and available to travel for 10-20% of the year.
Why our team loves working at Halter
- A genuine and shared connection to our mission to make a difference in the world.
- The excitement, risk, and reward of a high-growth technology scale-up.
- The pride of joining an iconic New Zealand technology company growing successfully on the global stage.
- The opportunity to work with and grow together with an enthusiastic, and highly gifted team with diverse backgrounds.
- The opportunity to supercharge your career in a supportive and caring environment.
- Our ideas are truly valued, we are able to move fast, and our impact is real.
- State-of-the-art, dog-friendly office that’s been thoughtfully designed right in the heart of Auckland city. Did we mention dogs and cows?
- Delicious snacks and drinks are available for your daily flow.
- Healthy body, healthy mind. We’re partnered with Southern Cross Health Insurance to support your well-being.
- We offer 6 months of fully paid parental leave for primary caregivers, 4 weeks of fully paid secondary caregiver leave and many other parental benefits that support you and your family.
- Our personal growth is important. Halter offers an annual $1000 self-development budget to be used for anything that fuels personal growth.
- Our time to recharge is valued, we’re offered wellness leave and unlimited paid annual leave.
- We offer an inclusive and attractive remuneration package made up of salary, benefits and an employee stock ownership plan.
Halter is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive workplace — a place where we can each be ourselves and do the best work of our lives. Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the requirements, women and under-represented groups of candidates tend to only apply when they meet every requirement. If you think you have what it takes but don’t necessarily tick every requirement on this job description, please still get in touch and apply to Halter. We’d love to chat to see if you’ll be an epic fit!
Our Office First Approach
We do have flexible working hours and you can work from home when you need to but we encourage our team to be in the office as much as you can.
We have an office-first approach because we would like to keep the opportunity for teams to have spontaneous interactions which in turn has allowed our team at Halter to foster strong relationships. Stronger relationships make it easier to disagree, give feedback, do meaningful work and as a result, be higher performing as a team.
This is applicable mainly for our office-based roles rather than on-the-road roles in the Customer Success or Business Development teams.
Join our team
If this opportunity sounds like you, please apply below by sending through your cover letter explaining why you’re excited about this role and working at Halter, along with your CV, and we’ll be in touch!