Principal Software Engineer (Animal Domain)
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2023
The future of food production hinges on an important question: How do we feed the world’s growing population without compromising our natural resources? Farmers feed our population and hold the keys to vital climate solutions. At Halter, we’re on a mission to enable farmers to run the most productive and sustainable farms. Farmers are using Halter to break free from the time-intensive constraints of conventional farming. They’re growing more grass, increasing milk production and improving the health and wellbeing of their cows.
We bridge deep tech into farming. Halter enables farmers to remotely shift, virtually fence and proactively monitor their cows’ health and behaviour. Can you imagine watching 500 dairy cows turn in unison and walk calmly towards the milking shed? No quad bikes, no dogs, no fences. Just a mob of cows walking at their own pace. People say it looks like magic. Our customers are revolutionizing farming with Halter. It's changing lives and transforming an industry.
People join Halter because they want to do meaningful work. By joining us you’ll be solving challenging problems within a talented team and a culture built for high performance. Our team out-think, out-work and out-care. We’re committed to delivering real change in the world - this isn’t easy, and in truth, we love that it’s hard. We’re backed to deliver on a mission that matters by Tier 1 investors including Bessemer Venture Partners, DCVC, Blackbird, Promus Ventures, Rocket Lab’s Peter Beck and Icehouse ventures.
About the role
Are you a highly skilled and experienced engineer looking for an exciting leadership opportunity? Are you passionate about leveraging your deep technical expertise to drive innovation and deliver exceptional results?
We are looking for someone hungry to make an impact on the world to join us and lead a team of Software Engineers in our Animal domain. Centred around ensuring both positive farmer and animal outcomes when interacting with our core virtual fencing, heat and health products, this role favours someone who is deeply technical, able to reason from first principles with a strong bias to delivering the right solution for the problem across a diverse technology stack.
We push the boundaries of innovation, delivering cutting-edge solutions, and making a positive impact on society. Our dynamic and collaborative work environment fosters creativity, encourages growth, and rewards excellence.
We are a team of high performers looking for a strong technical leader who enables, motivates and drives their team to meet or exceed specific goals and objectives. Focused on results, not the process, and is able to find a balance between these results and care, loyalty and wellbeing of their team.
As a Principal Software Engineer, you will play a pivotal role in our organisation, leading a team of talented engineers and spearheading the development of innovative products and solutions. We are seeking a visionary technical expert who can guide the team through complex technical challenges and drive the execution of our product roadmap.
What your day could look like
- As a Principal Software Engineer, you will play a pivotal role in our organisation, technically leading a team of talented engineers and spearheading the development of innovative products and solutions. We are seeking a visionary technical expert who can guide the team through complex technical challenges and drive the execution of our product roadmap.
- Providing guidance, mentorship, and support to foster the growth and development of our engineers. Hands on full stack development delivering tested and reliable software through to production
- Balancing hands-on technical contributions with strategic leadership to guide the team towards successful project outcomes.
- Maintain high levels of communication with fellow engineers and other teams about product requirements, timelines, risks, and priorities
- Work with the Director of Animal to ensure engineering efforts deliver on valuable customer outcomes
- Collaborating closely with cross-functional teams, including product management, design, hardware, to ensure seamless product delivery.
- Taking ownership of the technical architecture within the Animal Domain and driving technical decision-making to ensure scalable and reliable solutions working closely with our Principal Firmware Engineer & Senior engineers
- Staying abreast of emerging technologies, industry trends, and advancements to drive innovation and maintain technical excellence.
Who are we looking for:
- Bachelor or higher degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Computer (Systems) Engineering, or a related field.
- Proven experience as a technical leader, with a deep understanding of engineering principles and methodologies. (7+ years of engineering experience)
- Excellent hands-on technical ability, particularly with some combination of Kotlin, Java, TypeScript, React, Python, Go, and AWS services.
- Deep familiarity with modern cloud based distributed systems (especially AWS)
- Strong ability to reason from first principles to solve complex problems simply across a deep and diverse technology stack
- Have real life experience in, and a passion for understanding and dealing with all phases of the entire software engineering process across different industries
- Understanding of common development processes such as version control, continuous integration / delivery, code reviews, and pair programming
- Experience working in a fast-paced startup environment, prepared to fail fast, and learn quickly
- Strong communication and collaboration skills to work with a wide variety of teams, from hardware to sales
Why our team loves working at Halter:
- Dedicate yourself to solving real-world problems alongside an epic team in a culture designed around growth.
- A genuine and shared connection to our mission to make a difference in the world.
- The pride of joining an iconic New Zealand technology company.
- The excitement, risk, and reward of a high-growth technology scale-up on the global stage.
- Our ideas are truly valued, we are able to move fast, and our impact is real.
- State-of-the-art, dog-friendly office that’s been thoughtfully designed right in the heart of Auckland city. Did we mention dogs and cows?
- Healthy body, healthy mind. We’re partnered with Southern Cross Health Insurance to support your well-being.
- We offer 6 months of fully paid parental leave for primary caregivers, 4 weeks of fully paid secondary caregiver leave and many other parental benefits that support you and your family.
- Our personal growth is important. Halter offers an annual $1000 self-development budget to be used for anything that fuels personal growth.
- Our time to recharge is valued, we’re offered wellness leave and unlimited paid annual leave.
- We offer an inclusive and attractive remuneration package made up of salary, benefits and an employee stock ownership plan.
- Delicious snacks and drinks are available for your daily flow.
Halter is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive workplace — a place where we can each be ourselves and do the best work of our lives. Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the requirements, women and under-represented groups of candidates tend to only apply when they meet every requirement. If you think you have what it takes but don’t necessarily tick every requirement on this job description, please still get in touch and apply to Halter. We’d love to chat to see if you’ll be an epic fit!
Our Office First Approach
We do have flexible working hours and you can work from home when you need to but we encourage our team to be in the office as much as you can.
We have an office-first approach because we would like to keep the opportunity for teams to have spontaneous interactions which in turn has allowed our team at Halter to foster strong relationships. Stronger relationships make it easier to disagree, give feedback, do meaningful work and as a result be higher performing as a team.
Join our team
If this opportunity sounds like you, please apply below by sending through your cover letter explaining why you’re excited about this role and working at Halter, along with your CV, and we’ll be in touch!