Comms Firmware Engineer Internship 2023/2024
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2023
The future of food production hinges on an important question: How do we feed the world’s growing population without compromising our natural resources? Farmers feed our population and hold the keys to vital climate solutions. At Halter, we’re on a mission to enable farmers to run the most productive and sustainable farms. Farmers are using Halter to break free from the time-intensive constraints of conventional farming. They’re growing more grass, increasing milk production and improving the health and wellbeing of their cows.
We bridge deep tech into farming. Halter enables farmers to remotely shift, virtually fence and proactively monitor their cows’ health and behaviour. Can you imagine watching 500 dairy cows turn in unison and walk calmly towards the milking shed? No quad bikes, no dogs, no fences. Just a mob of cows walking at their own pace. People say it looks like magic. Our customers are revolutionizing farming with Halter. It's changing lives and transforming an industry.
People join Halter because they want to do meaningful work. By joining us you’ll be solving challenging problems within a talented team and a culture built for high performance. Our team out-think, out-work and out-care. We’re committed to delivering real change in the world - this isn’t easy, and in truth, we love that it’s hard. We’re backed to deliver on a mission that matters by Tier 1 investors including Bessemer Venture Partners, DCVC, Blackbird, Promus Ventures, Rocket Lab’s Peter Beck and Icehouse ventures.
About the role
Halter has over 200,000 collars that connect to our wireless network every minute to report hundreds of metrics that fuel the innovation of every team at Halter. We also talk to those collars several times a minute to issue commands and updated information. This network is the backbone of our product, and we’re looking for someone who can help us write performant, low-power firmware to drive our cutting-edge, patented communications stack built on top of the LoRa standard.
This internship will run from the 15th of November 2023 through to the 25th of February 2024. It will be full-time 40 hours a week over this time period.
What your day could look like
- Helping triage bugs & issues with the senior engineers and deploying solutions
- Joining team planning and working sessions to scope problems and propose your solutions
- Creating the next version of our high device density transmission schemes
- Researching and implementing cutting edge mesh or peer-to-peer network solutions
- Finding improvements and optimizations in our current codebase to support a more performant and efficient network
- All this using modern C++17/20
- We have a lot of fun too: farm days, BBQs, sunny park picnics, team outings & dinners
Who are we looking for?
- You are enrolled in your penultimate, final year or have a recent completion of a Computer Science/Software/Mechatronics or similar degree
- Someone with the right attitude. We’re looking for the deeply curious, those who are driven to learn and grow in all areas.
- Someone who is energetic and excited about writing great firmware to make hardware talk
- Understanding of clean code principles and agile development practices
- University or project-based experience working with C, C++ or Python
- Understanding of modern testing practices
- Understanding of common development processes such as version control, code reviews, and pair/mob programming
- Someone who takes ownership and keeps asking questions until they get the information they need
- An intern at Halter is a fully-fledged member of the team and you’ll be given opportunity, ownership and responsibility like everyone else.
- If this sounds a little intense, it is. You’ll be working alongside an epic team of the best and brightest. You’ll be having an impact and you’ll be learning quickly - that’s Halter.
Why our team loves working at Halter
- A genuine and shared connection to our mission to make a difference in the world
- The excitement, risk, and reward of a high-growth technology scale-up
- The pride of joining an iconic New Zealand technology company growing successfully on the global stage
- The opportunity to work with and grow alongside a dynamic, and highly talented team with diverse backgrounds
- State-of-the-art, dog-friendly office that’s been thoughtfully designed right in the heart of Auckland city.
- The opportunity to supercharge your career in a supportive and caring environment
- Our ideas are truly valued, we are able to move fast, and our impact is real
- We offer a competitive remuneration package
Halter is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive workplace — a place where we can each be ourselves and do the best work of our lives. Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the requirements, women and under-represented groups of candidates tend to only apply when they meet every requirement. If you think you have what it takes but don’t necessarily tick every requirement on this job description, please still get in touch and apply to Halter. We’d love to chat to see if you’ll be an epic fit!
Our Office First Approach
We do have flexible working hours and you can work from home when you need to but we encourage our team to be in the office as much as you can.
We have an office-first approach because we would like to keep the opportunity for teams to have spontaneous interactions which in turn has allowed our team at Halter to foster strong relationships. Stronger relationships make it easier to disagree, give feedback, do meaningful work and as a result be higher performing as a team.
Join our team
If this opportunity sounds like you, please apply below by sending through your cover letter explaining why you’re excited about this role and working at Halter, along with your CV, and we’ll be in touch!