Human Resources Manager
Karbon is the global leader in practice management software for growth-minded accounting firms. We provide an award-winning, highly collaborative cloud platform that streamlines work and communication, enabling the average accounting firm using Karbon to save 16 hours per week, per employee.
We have customers in 28 countries and have grown into a globally distributed team, with our people based throughout the US, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the United Kingdom. We are well-funded, ranked #1 on G2, have a fantastic team culture, are growing rapidly, and making a global impact.
The Human Resource Manager is leader when it comes to managing change, operational objectives and able to help guide our overall people strategy. This role encompasses all aspects of the HR discipline, reports to the VP of People & Places, and works closely with the Technology and Product teams.
You will be a dynamic operational-focused senior Human Resources professional who is passionate about the employment experience and is keen to impart (not impose) your advice to leaders proactively as well as develop a strong understanding of what makes great Product and Technology teams work best. Please note this is a full-time onsite role based in our Sydney office located in Chippendale.
About the role
Reporting to the VP of People & Places, your main responsibilities will include:
- Partner with frontline leaders and members of the senior leadership team in a proactive consultative role to understand and help guide strategies for their leadership team and their employees and navigate current and future business needs while influencing and driving the People team agenda in alignment with overall Karbon business priorities.
- Be a key change leader, comfortable initiating, guiding and elevating change initiatives
- Act as the first point of contact for all general employment and HR queries within the global business (however predominantly Australian and New Zealand-based queries)
- Develop a deep understanding of assigned business lines, particularly engineering and product teams, and build robust relationships and rapport with business leaders in order to strategically influence and provide expert-level consultation daily.
- Understand and influence how Karbon’s HR processes work end-to-end and what the strategy, approach and philosophy is behind how these programs impact the business. Utilise this deep understanding to influence outcomes and behaviors within the business and make recommendations on improvements/developments where needed
- Constantly think about how to improve the efficiency of the organization - looking at teams, governance, and external factors - then structuring and implementing initiatives to address opportunities.
- Provide expert advice to internal clients on a broad range of issues including Fair Work Act and modern award compliance, performance management, and termination of employment through multiple communication channels
- Develop, administer, and report on employee performance and engagement metrics to empower strategic decision making
- Develop and implement robust and scalable people processes and systems
- Keep abreast of employment regulations to ensure ongoing compliance and best practice is employed across all markets and develop channels to communicate these succinctly and effectively to business leaders in a manner they can understand
Candidates with the following skills and experience are encouraged to apply:
- Minimum of 7 years working as a People Business Partner, HR Advisor or HRM with a strong HR Generalist background
- Prior start-up or SaaS experience highly regarded
- Change management experience
- Proven ability in making timely, effective, and principles-based decisions using strong judgment to weigh inputs from multiple team members and effectively managing tradeoffs, then aligning stakeholders to those decisions
- A passion for viewing employees as individuals on a journey with a company, looking to provide them with the best experience possible
- Deep business acumen to understand, anticipate, and solve business needs with strong analytical capabilities
- Solid understanding of global HR programs including compensation, performance management, organizational structure and leadership development; and a track record of providing HR consultation to senior leadership on critical initiatives
- Unquestioned integrity with assertiveness, presence, and confidence with high EQ, personal maturity, cultural awareness and compassion
- Strong up to date working knowledge of Australian employment legislation
- Adept in modern award interpretation and how to classify roles with which awards they should be attached to
- The ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Passion for action and the ability to prioritize and complete tasks in a timely manner
Bonus points if:
- Knowledge of the NZ employment legislation
- Prior experience in a stand-alone HR role
Perks and benefits:
- Global exposure across USA, New Zealand, UK, and Canada
- 4 weeks annual leave plus 5 extra "Karbon Days" off a year
- Flexible working environment
- Work with (and learn from) an experienced, high-performing team
- Be part of a fast-growing company that firmly believes in promoting high performers from within
- A collaborative, team-oriented culture that embraces diversity, invests in development, and provides consistent feedback
- Generous parental leave
When we look for talent to join our team, we want unique, creative, and amazing people to share our brand, values, and help us build a world-class product and company.
Diversity and inclusion are fundamental to who we are, and what has always made us tick.
We recruit and reward people based on capability and performance. We don’t discriminate based on race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, lifestyle, age, educational background, national origin, religion, physical or cognitive ability, and other diversity dimensions, that may hinder inclusion in the organization.
Generally, if you are a good person, we want to talk to you. 😛
We embrace and welcome you to bring your authentic self and we believe in being good to each other. If there are any adjustments or accommodations that we can make to assist you during the recruitment process, and your journey at Karbon, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for a confidential discussion.
At this time, we request that agency referrals are not submitted for this position. We appreciate your understanding and encourage direct applications from interested candidates. Thank you!