Senior Analytics Engineer
Karbon is the global leader in practice management software for growth-minded accounting firms. We provide an award-winning, highly collaborative cloud platform that streamlines work and communication, enabling the average accounting firm using Karbon to save 16 hours per week, per employee.
We have customers in 34 countries and have grown into a globally distributed team, with our people based throughout the US, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the United Kingdom. We are well-funded, ranked #1 on G2, have a fantastic team culture, are growing rapidly, and making a global impact.
About the KPI team:
Karbon Practice Intelligence (KPI) is a data and business intelligence product offering from Karbon. We specialize on transforming Karbon application data into actionable insights for our customer. Our focus is on bringing the data to the customer where it matters for them - in-app, in a BI tool, or in the customer’s own data warehouse.
KPI is growing quickly and already has several exciting initiatives to seamlessly integrate with the Karbon application. In this role, you'll be a vital part of the KPI team, working collaboratively to support the seamless blend of analytics within the Karbon application.
About the role:
This role is remote and open to any candidates that can maintain working hours that overlap with Eastern Canada (UTC-3).
You will be the lead Analytics Engineer for a KPI data-as-a-product team, providing input on the data strategy to support the KPI product roadmap. This role has a focus on improving and maintaining the KPI data infrastructure and platform as we scale our offering, but also includes development of new features.
This is a unique role that offers the opportunity to own the end-to-end data stack, from the operational database all the way to the end customer. Our stack currently includes Azure, Snowflake, dbt, Terraform, elasticSearch, PowerBI desktop & embedded, and custom ETL tools.
Some of your main responsibilities will include:
- Building and maintaining data pipelines, including monitoring health of pipelines to meet customer SLAs
- Collaborating with other Analytics Engineers to plan, scope and execute work, as well as peer review code
- Writing technical design documents and communicating resource requirements
- Working closely with product managers and designers to bring new features to market, including new reports, data sharing, embedded analytics, and AI offerings
- Maintaining and championing a high standard of quality, consistency and scalability in our code base
- Writing data contracts, building dbt models and business intelligence reporting to provide insights to customers
- Streamlining and automating processes, proactively identifying and eliminating technical debt
- Monitoring platform performance and costs
- Collaborating effectively asynchronously with product and software engineering teams in Australia
Candidates with the following characteristics and experience are encouraged to apply:
- 4+ years of relevant data experience
- Excellent SQL skills and intermediate experience with Python
- Expert knowledge of modern data tools (such as Snowflake, dbt, and PowerBI)
- A problem solver with a self-starter mindset that can adapt well to changing priorities
- Experience building and optimizing data pipeline, architecture, and data sets, and the ability to convey solutions to a technical and non-technical audience
- Experience working with cloud services and hands-on experience devops practices for build and deployment (Docker, Github Actions etc.)
- Experience with version control tools like git for peer-reviews, feature branching, resolving conflicts and commits
- Experience providing technical leadership and educating other engineers on best practices in data engineering
- Excellent asynchronous communication skills to work with an international remote team
- A passion for teamwork and a sense of ownership in your work
- Has interest in working with AI and LLMs in a product environment
What you’ll learn when you work with us:
- As part of a small team you’ll have ownership over end-to-end product development lifecycle and delivery - you will never be bored!
- You will be closely connected to the customer and have influence over the product roadmap to deliver value to customers
- The opportunity play with LLMs to develop and deliver an AI product feature
- You’ll work in a dynamic environment where we constantly learn new skills and technologies as we evolve and scale
Why work at Karbon?
- Up to 5 weeks paid vacation per year
- Strong benefits package including fully employer paid:
- $500 a year healthcare spending account
- Medical, prescription and paramedical
- Life insurance
- Flexible work hours
- Working from home allowance (where we don't have any co-work spaces available)
- Generous parental leave
- Work remotely or in one of our co-work spaces
- Work with (and learn from) an experienced, high-performing team
- Be part of a fast-growing company that firmly believes in promoting high performers from within
- A collaborative, team-oriented culture that embraces diversity invests in development and provides consistent feedback
When we look for talent to join our team, we want unique, creative, and amazing people that align with values, and help us build a world-class product and company.
Diversity and inclusion are fundamental to who we are, and what has always made us tick.
We recruit and reward people based on capability and performance. We don’t discriminate based on race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, lifestyle, age, educational background, national origin, religion, physical or cognitive ability, and other diversity dimensions, that may hinder inclusion in the organization.
Generally, if you are a good person, we want to talk to you. 😛
If there are any adjustments or accommodations that we can make to assist you during the recruitment process, and your journey at Karbon, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for a confidential discussion.
At this time, we request that agency referrals are not submitted for this position. We appreciate your understanding and encourage direct applications from interested candidates. Thank you!