Senior Full Stack Engineer (Node/TypeScript)
Lyka Pet Food
Who are we?
Lyka is an Australian-founded pet wellness company that’s shaking up an outdated industry and paving the way for happier, healthier pets. Despite medical advancements, animal lifespans are on the decline. Today, the average pet only reaches 37% of their full potential lifespan — the oldest dogs live to 30+ years old, the average dog passes away at only 11 years old :( — and statistics have shown us that most suffer from dental disease, cancer, and obesity. Simply put, the status quo is not enough.
As humans, we’ve experienced firsthand the positive impact fresh whole foods can have on our health and well-being, and we believe our furry friends deserve the same. We're on a mission to do just that, starting with nutritionally balanced, wholefood meals delivered directly to doors around Australia. As the world’s most sustainable pet wellness company, we’re putting pets and our planet first — one bowl at a time.
Today, we are proud to share we’ve served over 20 million meals to puppers and their parents across Australia, and this is just the beginning. Our vision is to create multiple nutritional products, add disease-prevention meals and supplements, and expand into new markets.
Currently, we have a team of 200+ pet-obsessed and we're continuing to grow (yes, looking at you!). These carefully selected people are dedicated to building the next generation of technology and products to help empower pet parents to take control of their pet’s well-being.
To date, we have raised over $60M in funding from our venture fund investments and pet industry insiders, who believe in our mission and ability to drive change in a stagnant industry, providing nutrition that nourishes puppers from the inside out.
Are you ready to shake things up and give pets the life they deserve? Come join our pack!
Engineering and Digital Product at Lyka
Our technology, systems and processes have allowed us to scale from zero and find product market fit in a few short years. We are now taking our digital product and engineering function to the next level. We are creating the foundations for a global scale, servicing millions of pets in multiple countries. Our aspiration is to become Australia's most respected engineering team for scale and innovation! Our roadmap brings exciting innovative technologies to life, such as wearables for pets, genetic data, and blood sampling – our technology will enable us to re-invent pet care and pet health. We are looking for smart, driven engineers who want to be a part of this incredible journey and really shape your career while redefining what good looks like for Australian engineering.
Who you are?
You will operate as a key member of your squad and provide strong leadership to ensure the timely implementation of its objectives as we move towards an event-driven microservices architecture and expand our technical capabilities across the entire engineering team. You will be working on core components of a greenfield project, helping to bring to life the technical vision of a brand new B2B e-commerce platform, aimed at bringing the Lyka brand to businesses across Australia!
What you'll do?
- Be a thought leader. Bringing new ideas to the table, challenging our existing processes and direction to help bring the best out in your squad
- Bring strong knowledge and understanding of contemporary software development practices, principles & design patterns
- Use your strong problem-solving and analytical skills to help us develop the best software solution
- Effectively communicate within your team and with cross-functional stakeholders across the business
- Work effectively as part of a coding pair
- Use agile development methodologies in your ways of working
- 5+ years experience working as a Software Engineer in a high-growth scale-up or start-up
- AWS Cloud development (including AWS Lambda, Cognito, DynamoDB)
- PHP & Laravel or ES6 / NodeJS (TypeScript)
- Serverless architecture (ideally using CDK)
- Test Driven Development using Jest/Vitest
- Version Control using Github or Bitbucket
- Building delivery pipelines using GitHub Actions or similar
- Microservices & event-driven architectures
- Continuous Integration/delivery
- Work in a fast-growing start-up, experiencing what goes behind the scenes to sustain hyper-growth for a start-up with a physical product!
- Growth and Development – Lyka is growing extremely quickly, which means you will have the opportunity to experience different challenges every day and progressively acquire more responsibilities as our facility and team expand. We provide an annual L&D budget for you to continue your personal development.
- Work for a sustainability-focused company – we care about the health of our dogs and our planet. We’re proud to be Australia’s only carbon-negative and plastic-negative pet wellness company and we’re always looking at ways for us to improve sustainability practices.
- Be part of a diverse top-talent team, coming from widely different backgrounds and geographies.
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave for primary carers and 6 weeks for secondary carers, alongside 2 weeks of miscarriage leave in the first twenty weeks. We also offer 18 paid weeks to both primary and secondary carers if you have been at Lyka for over two years.
- Wellbeing assistance & tools to take care of your mental and physical wellbeing so you can do your best work.
- Flexible working: work from where you get your best work done. We have pet-friendly offices and industrial kitchens in Sydney and Melbourne and offer a working-from-home allowance for your home set-up.
- Pupper parent support to care for your furry friends – flexible arrangements for new pets, pet-friendly offices, discounts, and financial allowance for dog training & care to help them live their best life!
We are committed to building inclusive and diverse teams
Lyka is an equal-opportunity employer devoted to providing a working environment that embraces and values diversity and inclusion. We celebrate diversity, are devoted to creating an inclusive environment for all staff and encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application.