Senior PHP Engineer (video gaming)
Who is mod.io?
mod.io is the world’s most trusted platform for the creation and discovery of fully cross-platform User-Generated Content (UGC) and mods in video games.
Many of the industries most innovative and successful games have UGC at their core. We’re talking about Counter-Strike, DotA, and PUBG. These games have become house-hold names and that same innovation is what drives us. We are a fast-growing, early-stage startup, backed by leading video game venture capital firms including LEGO Ventures, Tencent, and Makers Fund.
Our mission is to connect game studios and publishers with their communities by harnessing the power of UGC. And we’re doing it; our platform is embedded in over 150 games, including some of the biggest and best games in the world. Games like Deep Rock Galactic, Snowrunner, and Dying Light 2, and we support over six-and-a-half-million monthly users.
What is the role?
We are looking for an experienced PHP engineer to join our team. You will be responsible for developing and supporting the mod.io REST API.
Your responsibilities include:
- Understanding the technical requirements of game developers, mod creators, payment providers and stores.
- Helping define the solution architecture.
- Working alongside our frontend, API and integration development teams to understand, define and develop our REST API to fit their needs.
- Designing the APIs to ensure content remains synced and design a system that games can hook into for updates.
- Testing and implementing your APIs.
- Ensuring the APIs are scalable and secure - your API will be used by thousands of concurrent players all around the world.
- Keeping your house clean, your code may be open sourced on Github and must be well documented for our community to fork and adapt as they need.
Why work at mod.io?
We’re very ambitious in what we want to achieve as a company, and we work closely together to achieve our goals.
- We’re transparent and honest, and our focus is on getting things done in the most efficient way possible - if something is slowing us down, we want to know about it and fix it.
- We’re a small team with 30 people globally. This means there are always opportunities both to shape your role and also how we do things.
- We offer maximum flexibility - you can work hours based on your location and choose where you work - work from home (WFH) or away (any location), or enjoy the perks of our brand new office in Prahran if you’re in Melbourne.
- We provide a competitive salary and equity in the company
- We value the career development of our people; we look to hire within when opportunities arise, and provide mentorship and support for all our team.
- We’re very proud that we have a safe, transparent working environment where everyone is welcome, and we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for jobs with us.
What are we looking for in candidates?
We are looking for humble, enthusiastic, self-starters who take ownership over what they create and will help us shape and improve the company. Even if you don’t match the qualifications exactly, if you’re confident you can do the job, or can grow into the role, please throw your hat in the ring.
For this role, we need someone who is passionate about developing and maintaining high traffic web services, with great problem solving skills and an eye for detail.
We are looking for an experienced Senior PHP Engineer with:
- 5+ years PHP experience working with Laravel.
- Experience with NoSQL key-stores such as Redis & relational databases (MariaDB, MySQL).
- Experience with data modelling for high throughput database activity and a strong understanding of which workloads and data access patterns are scalable and what datastore the data should reside in.
- An ability to write clean, robust and reusable code, as well as mentor and review the code of other backend engineers
- A strong understanding of RESTful API’s.
- Familiarity with Amazon Web Services’ such as S3, Lambda, SNS, SES, SQS, EC2, RDS.
- The ability to take a concept from design to a functional, usable release.
- Confidence in your ability to lead a project from start to finish with little oversight from senior team members.
- An excitement to dig in and experiment, with real attention to detail.
- A hunger to own your code, improve your craft, and create a kick ass experience for millions of gamers along the way.
It would be awesome if you also have:
- A passion for video games and an understanding of the unique challenges UGC presents us and similar businesses like Youtube and Steam.
- Familiarity with Frontend development
- Familiarity with Vue.js
- Experience with Swagger/OpenAPI
How do I apply?
This is a full time role. You can work remotely or from our office in Prahran, which is near Melbourne in Victoria, Australia.
If you fit the criteria and the job description sounds exciting, then please click the application button and provide:
- Your CV
- A cover letter outlining how you meet the criteria
If you don’t think you’re right for this role, but you’d love a role at mod.io, please fill in our Expression of Interest form.
Something looks off?