Software Engineer - Data (video gaming)
Who is mod.io?
mod.io is the world’s most trusted platform for the creation and discovery of fully cross-platform User-Generated Content (UGC) and mods in video games.
Many of the industries most innovative and successful games have UGC at their core. We’re talking about Counter-Strike, DotA, and PUBG. These games have become house-hold names and that same innovation is what drives us. We are a fast-growing, early-stage startup, backed by leading video game venture capital firms including LEGO Ventures, Tencent, and Makers Fund.
Our mission is to connect game studios and publishers with their communities by harnessing the power of UGC. And we’re doing it; our platform is embedded in over 150 games, including some of the biggest and best games in the world. Games like Deep Rock Galactic, Snowrunner, and Dying Light 2, and we support over six-and-a-half-million monthly users.
What is the role?
We are looking for an experienced Data Engineer to join our team. You will be responsible for expanding and optimizing our data pipeline architecture and data flow and for managing data collection across 1,000s of data inputs and billions of rows of data.
- Provide expert advice on the best way to architect and implement our data pipeline, data warehouse(s), data lake(s) and other data-related initiatives.
- Design, build and own the systems required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and AWS technologies.
- Deploy and maintain data pipeline production environments to ensure high availability.
- Build robust, self-healing features and automation that reduce operational effort and improve service up-time.
- Optimise data extraction and storage to minimise hosting and other costs.
- Source and extract required data from core systems and ingest into our data pipeline for use in our dashboards and BI tools etc.
- Organise our large and complex data to enable us to provide insights more easily across vast and complex data sets.
- Create scalable and configurable code.
- Incorporate functional and non-functional business requirements in the data solution.
- Understand and cater for legal and regulatory obligations in regard to data capture and usage eg: exclude PIR data.
- Implement selected BI tool(s) to enable internal and external users to query our data pipeline for actionable insights.
- Implement data governance (who can see what data).
- Optimise data extraction and data structures to answer specific business questions.
- Identify and implement improvements to our tools, processes and data capture.
- Provide data and analytics expertise to other project teams as our data systems become more sophisticated.
Why work at mod.io?
We’re very ambitious in what we want to achieve as a company, and we work closely together to achieve our goals.
- We’re transparent and honest, and our focus is on getting things done in the most efficient way possible - if something is slowing us down, we want to know about it and fix it.
- We’re a small team with 30 people globally. This means there are always opportunities both to shape your role and also how we do things.
- We offer maximum flexibility - you can work hours based on your location and choose where you work - work from home (WFH) or away (any location), or enjoy the perks of our brand new office in Prahran if you’re in Melbourne.
- We provide a competitive salary and equity in the company
- We value the career development of our people; we look to hire within when opportunities arise, and provide mentorship and support for all our team.
- We’re very proud that we have a safe, transparent working environment where everyone is welcome, and we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for jobs with us.
What are we looking for in candidates?
We are looking for humble, enthusiastic, self-starters who take ownership over what they create and will help us shape and improve the company. Even if you don’t match the qualifications exactly, if you’re confident you can do the job, or can grow into the role, please throw your hat in the ring.
For this role, we need someone who is hands-on software engineer, pipeline builder and data wrangler, who enjoys writing and modifying code to capture relevant data, massage it into meaningful insights and make these insights available via APIs.
We are looking for:
- 3+ years in a similar role, working with large, complex, growing data sets (currently 1 billion rows, and will hit 10 billion in 2024)
- Expert in working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) and designing database backup and replication approaches.
- Expert in MySQL and Redshift, our core database technologies.
- Expert in optimizing ‘big data’ data pipelines, architectures and data sets.
- Experience with big data tools eg: Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc.
- Experience with AWS cloud services eg: EC2, ElastiCache, Lambda, MSK, Glue, Cloudformation, DMS etc.
- Experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages eg. Python.
- Experience with monitoring and logging services eg: New Relic, AWS Cloudwatch, etc
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable ‘big data’ data stores.
- You must be self-directed, comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple project teams with a strong drive to teach and learn.
- You will be excited by the prospect of designing and optimizing our company’s data architecture to support our next generation of growth, products and data initiatives.
- You promote a culture of continuous improvement and engineering excellence.
It would be awesome if you also have:
- Data engineering certification (e.g AWS Certified Data Engineer).
- Knowledge of the video game industry as a gamer
- Experience working in an agile environment.
- Experience with CI/CD/build automation tools.
- Experience with Machine learning and AI over large data sets.
- Experience with ClickUp and G-Suite.
- A passion for video games.
How do I apply?
This is a full time role. You can work remotely or from our office in Prahran, which is near Melbourne in Victoria, Australia.
If you fit the criteria and the job description sounds exciting, then please click the application button and provide:
- Your CV
- A cover letter outlining how you meet the criteria
If you don’t think you’re right for this role, but you’d love a role at mod.io, please fill in our Expression of Interest form.