Firmware Engineer [Cambridge, UK]
Are you a Firmware Engineer with 4 or 5 years experience? Would you like to help build the next generation Wi-Fi chips that will enable a new generation of Internet of Things (IoT) devices? Then join Morse Micro, Australia’s largest fabless semiconductor company! We are looking for the most innovative engineers to join us in the The Bradfield Centre in the Cambridge Science Park.
You will join a firmware team implementing the IEEE 802.11ah standard on Morse Micro’s state-of-the-art RISC-V multi-core chip architecture, working closely with Analog, Systems and Digital IC Design Engineers to build and maintain an elegant embedded software architecture. Your main focus will be the firmware on our chips, but there will be necessary involvement in writing Python scripts, device drivers, core DSP loops, interrupt handlers, and other related areas.
Starting date for this role would be ASAP.
- Implementation of the 802.11ah standard in Firmware involving all layers.
- Support of chip bring up on bench.
- Implementation of Wi-Fi Alliance test suite software as required
- Various Optimisations for Performance, Footprint and Power consumption
- Writing elegant Python scripts to facilitate testing and other tasks
- Providing an overall technical expertise and brilliance
- Wi-Fi interoperability testing may necessitate some travel (mostly USA)
- There will be some customer interaction, e.g. implementation of customer requested features, resolution of customer found issues etc
Essential skills (you must have):
- BSc in Electrical / Electronics / Communication Engineering or Computer Science
- 2+ years relevant industry experience in embedded software projects
- Proven experience in Firmware development using the C programming language
- Experience in porting and using FreeRTOS or RT-Thread Real Time Operating Systems. Including bootloaders, device drivers, interrupt handlers and DMA routines.
- Experience using software version control and issue tracking systems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- A hands-on, practical attitude
Desired requirements (key skills that you should have 70% of):
- A good understanding of IEEE 802.11 standard including 802.11 security model
- Experience with RISC-V instruction set and architecture
- Experience in working on GNU/Linux, GCC and Make development environment
- Experience with wireshark for testing and debugging of 802.11 systems
- Experience with various hardware interfacing buses, like SDIO, SPI and I2C
- Experience using Python for tools and scripts.
- Experience in using static analysis and automated testing tools.
Bonus skills (if you have those you can stand out among the crowd, don’t sweat it if you don’t):
- Good understanding of C++
- Experience with writing Linux kernel development
- Experience with writing Linux applications for embedded devices
- Familiarity with software defined radio (SDR) such as GNURadio
- Familiarity with digital design languages such as VHDL, Verilog and SystemVerilog or IC design flows from Cadence or Synopsys
- Familiarity with Matlab
Who we are:
Morse Micro is Australia’s largest semiconductor company building Wi-Fi HaLow (802.11ah) chips for the Internet of Things (IoT). We are a team of wireless experts that love to work hard, innovate & invent. Together, we are building the world’s lowest power Wi-Fi technology that will enable billions of IoT devices to connect securely to the internet. We are a global team with offices in Sydney & Picton (Australia), Irvine, Bay Area & Boston (USA), Bangalore (India), Cambridge (UK) and Hangzhou (China), Taipei (Taiwan) and Tokyo (Japan).
Check out what it is like to work with us:
What we offer:
- Competitive salary + excellent stock option package
- Health insurance contribution
- Ability to work alongside some of the world's best engineers in a fast-paced environment and make a real impact
How to apply:
To apply submit your CV and cover letter and tell us why you would be a stand-out applicant for the role of Firmware Engineer at Morse Micro.
A note to recruitment agencies - We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.