Head of Data Science (Eastern Time Zone)
Oura is an award-winning company that helps people track their sleep, activity, and other biometrics using the Oura Ring and connected app. By providing daily feedback and practical steps to inspire healthy lifestyles, we've helped over a million people improve their sleep, understand their bodies, and transform their health. We’re on a mission to make health a daily practice for everyone, and we’re seeking a pivotal leader to join our journey at this very exciting time.
Empowering the world starts with living our values and empowering our team. As a quickly growing company focused on helping people live healthier and happier lives, we ensure that our team members have what they need to do their best work — both in and out of the office.
We are looking for a Head of Data Science (USA, location East Coast Time Zones) This individual sets the strategy and direction for Data Science and manages all data scientists and data science managers within Software Engineering, as well as supporting and guiding data science work within our Science org. The DS team’s primary responsibility is developing, implementing and maintaining the many machine learning models that power our product. The Head of DS also manages our Decision Science team, which supports Marketing, Finance, Product, and Member Experience with advanced analytics and data for business decision making.
You will be an inspiring and nurturing leader for your team and the many colleagues you interact with regularly. You will empower your team by bringing them better processes and tools, understanding and enabling their career goals, and growing and training the team to meet future needs. You will be an advocate for Data Science and Software Engineering as you collaborate with Product, Science and other stakeholders to set our product strategy for the coming years.
We would love to have you lead our team, if you:
- Are passionate about our mission of making health a daily practice, bringing better wellbeing to millions worldwide
- Thrive in a fast-paced, sometimes unpredictable, and highly collaborative work environment
- Have seven or more years of work experience as a data scientist or machine learning engineer, including developing models for deployment to product and managing their deployment
- Have five or more years of work experience in a leadership role, including three or more in a senior leadership position similar to this
- Have experience evaluating new data platforms and tools, managing relationships with vendors, and helping to oversee their integration
- Bring experience and opinions about organizational design, ways of working and data governance, but are flexible and able to collaborate with others to level-up our strategy and operations
- Are familiar with best practices in data privacy, security and quality, and able to contribute to company-wide standards around data in a sensitive and highly regulated space
- Have familiarity with modern software development processes and the ability to work with product managers to evaluate and contribute to their roadmaps
- Familiarity with any of the following a plus: AWS, pytorch, time series analysis, signal processing, causal inference, large language models, physiological or wearable data, ML at the edge
At Oura, we care about you and your well-being. What we offer:
- Competitive salary and equity packages
- Health, dental, vision insurance, and mental health resources
- An Oura Ring of your own + employee discounts for friends & family
- Fertility benefits through Carrot Pro
- Flexible working hours and remote working arrangements
- $750 Learning & Development credit
- $25 DoorDash credit every Friday for lunch
- 20 days of PTO + 13 paid holidays + 8 days of flexible wellness time off
- 5 days paid sick leave, 5 days bereavement leave, 12 weeks paid parental leave
- Amazing culture of collaborative and passionate coworkers
Oura takes a market-based approach to pay, which may vary depending on your location. US locations are categorized into tiers based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. While most offers will be closer to the starting range, successful candidates’ pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, internal peer equity, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
*Salary range will be posted soon.To all recruitment agencies: Oura does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Oura employees or any other organization location. Oura is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes
Oura is proud to be an equal-opportunity workplace. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Individuals seeking employment at Oura are considered without regard to age, ancestry, color, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, national origin, socioeconomic status, protected family care or medical leave status, race, religion (including beliefs and practices or the absence thereof), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.