Senior Scientist, Quantum Sensing (Miniaturisation)
Posted on Monday, March 6, 2023
We hold the key to making quantum useful! Q-CTRL is a company with a deep start-up spirit with offices in Sydney, Los Angeles and Berlin. Our goal is to revolutionize the quantum future of technology by delivering transformational, real-life outcomes for the world’s most innovative and impactful industry. Simply put, we make quantum technology useful.
We’re led by our values; to be real, be trusted, be just, and be revered. They guide us in everything we do - how we work together and how we shape the future of the quantum field. We want the best talent in the world to join our team - from operations, product, design and marketing through to quantum research. So whether you’re a quantum expert or simply unsure where you fit into a business like ours, we want to hear from you!
About the team:
The Quantum Sensing division has rapidly evolved since the conception of the business. Two years ago, we realised the opportunity to diversify and build a dedicated quantum sensing hardware and modeling program. Fast forward to 2022 and we have established world-leading capability in Accelerometry, Magnetometry, Miniaturisation and Modelling, with a focus on software-defined quantum sensing hardware. With huge growth projected for 2023 and beyond, we are seeking a new Senior Scientist, Quantum Sensing to join our team based out of Sydney, Australia.
About the role:
As a Sensing scientist within the miniaturisation team, you’ll be responsible for developing the next generation of quantum sensors with a focus on field trials and deployment.
What you'll be doing:
- You will be part of an established and growing team focused on quantum sensing for a variety of industry sectors such as Aerospace, Defence, geophysical exploration and Earth observation.
- Develop state-of-the-art quantum atomic sensing hardware that is compatible with miniaturisation and field deployment.
- You will work closely with the broader Quantum Sensing division and leverage the deep expertise of our quantum control engineers in collaboration with our hardware development teams.
- You’ll develop and analyse device designs, operational mechanisms, and control solutions for quantum sensors based on cutting edge hardware.
- Interact with hardware partners for the integration of control techniques for sensor operation and data fusion.
- Analyse sensor performance in realistic environments and apply optimization and machine learning techniques for both performance enhancement and robustness under real-world operating conditions.
Ideally you'll have:
- A PhD in Physics, Engineering or a closely related discipline
- Experience in, or capability and motivation to learn atom optics, atomic interferometry or quantum sensing, cold atom systems, gravimetry, etc.
- Experience in scientific device design, construction, commissioning, operation and data analysis of scientific devices.
- Eager to take research hardware out of the laboratory and and solve the difficulties that come with real world environments for field trials and demonstrations.
- Finally, you will have a strong desire to work with a world leading team and a company that is fundamentally building the future of the quantum technology industry.
It would be fantastic if you have these skills but not essential:
- You have worked with automation of scientific apparatus operation and data acquisition.
- Experience communicating and collaborating with theoretical or modeling scientists to produce experimental results.
Flexibility: We embrace flexibility and remote work so you worry more about your global impact vs a rigid work schedule
Attractive salary: You’ll get to live the start-up life without start-up wages
Equity: We want people to have a sense of ownership in what they do and offer the potential for equity share and annual bonuses
Resources: We are well funded by the world’s best technology investors, letting us chase our ambitions with minimal constraints
Parental support: We offer paid parental leave to support you and your loved ones!
Diversity: We’re an equal employment opportunity employer. We value diversity, inclusion and providing equal opportunities to all, actively supporting initiatives like the ‘Global Women in Quantum’ program among others
Unique culture: You’ll be surrounded by some of the world’s leading physicists, engineers, product, marketing and design people (to name a few!) with a strong desire to learn and transfer knowledge
Meaningful values: You’ll work with an incredibly supportive team who work consistently to deliver our core values to be real, be trusted, be just and to be revered
Personal development: We provide you with a personal development and wellness budget
Impactful work: Last but not least! You’ll have the opportunity to work in the world’s leading field of technology and truly make an impact that matters!
Please note: Q-CTRL is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that values the strength diversity brings to the workplace. We are committed to being inclusive in the way we hire. We strongly encourage you to apply even if you do not meet all of the requirements mentioned in the job posting.
To recruitment agencies, we do not accept unsolicited branded profiles and are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
See more open positions at Q-CTRL
Something looks off?