Systems Engineer, Quantum Sensing
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2023
We hold the key to making quantum useful! Q-CTRL is a company with a deep start-up spirit with offices in Sydney, Los Angeles and Berlin. Our goal is to revolutionize the quantum future of technology by delivering transformational, real-life outcomes for the world’s most innovative and impactful industry. Simply put, we make quantum technology useful.
We’re led by our values; to be real, be trusted, be just, and be revered. They guide us in everything we do - how we work together and how we shape the future of the quantum field. We want the best talent in the world to join our team - from operations, product, design and marketing through to quantum research. So whether you’re a quantum expert or simply unsure where you fit into a business like ours, we want to hear from you!
About the role
We are seeking a Senior Quantum Sensing Systems Engineer with experience in developing quantum sensors for mobile deployment in terrestrial and spaceborne applications. Using knowledge of Systems Engineering disciplines, you will understand and document the requirements of the Quantum Sensing devices to be developed, define their subsystems, and define and deliver requirements and architecture documents, assembly integration and test plans, interface control documents and other engineering artifacts.
Reporting to the Head of Quantum Sensing, you will join a growing team focused on quantum sensing for defense, aerospace, and earth observation. Our projects will leverage the deep expertise of the Q-CTRL quantum control engineers and will involve collaboration with the broader Quantum Sensing team.
What you'll be doing:
- In collaboration with other members of the Quantum Sensing Division, the Head of Product and Product Manager (Quantum Sensing), external partners and customers, understand and document system and user requirements.
- Analyse requirements and define the behaviour, architecture, function, and performance of the sensing systems that add new and differentiating capabilities in software-defined quantum sensing technologies.
- Assist Quantum Sensing Scientists in prioritising modelling that translates quantum sensor performance into capabilities that solve pressing challenges for current and prospective end-users and customers (and similarly, identify quantum sensor requirements and concepts of operation for a given end-user application).
- Work with the Head of Quantum Sensing, Lead and Principal Scientists, and the Program Manager (Quantum Sensing) to manage project activities, and identify, manage and mitigate project risks.
- Build ongoing relationships with customers, suppliers, and contractors.
Ideally you'll have:
- Knowledge and practical experience of Systems Engineering concepts and methods.
- Experience in developing and operating verification and test procedures for systems and subsystems.
- Demonstrable experience of capturing and analysing system requirements.
- Qualification in Physics, Engineering, Mathematics, or another suitable technical discipline.
- An understanding of sensing devices and systems based on physics, electronics, and control systems.
- Excellent communication skills, including writing, speaking, and listening.
It would be fantastic if you have these skills but not essential:
- Experience in delivering sensing systems all the way to deployed satellite payloads.
- Qualification and experience in Quality Assurance including ISO9001.
Flexibility: We embrace workplace flexibility so you worry more about your global impact vs a rigid work schedule
Attractive salary: You’ll get to live the start-up life without start-up wages
Equity: We want people to have a sense of ownership in what they do and offer the potential for equity share and annual bonuses
Resources: We are well funded by the world’s best technology investors, letting us chase our ambitions with minimal constraints
Parental support: We offer paid parental leave to support you and your loved ones!
Diversity: We’re an equal employment opportunity employer. We value diversity, inclusion and providing equal opportunities to all, actively supporting initiatives like the ‘Global Women in Quantum’ program among others
Unique culture: You’ll be surrounded by some of the world’s leading physicists, engineers, product, marketing and design people (to name a few!) with a strong desire to learn and transfer knowledge
Meaningful values: You’ll work with an incredibly supportive team who work consistently to deliver our core values to be real, be trusted, be just and to be revered
Personal development: We provide you with a personal development and wellness budget
Impactful work: Last but not least! You’ll have the opportunity to work in the world’s leading field of technology and truly make an impact that matters!
Please note: Q-CTRL is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that values the strength diversity brings to the workplace. We are committed to being inclusive in the way we hire. We strongly encourage you to apply even if you do not meet all of the requirements mentioned in the job posting.
To recruitment agencies, we do not accept unsolicited branded profiles and are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.