Head of Engineering
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2023
We hold the key to making quantum useful! Q-CTRL is a company with a deep start-up spirit with offices in Sydney, Los Angeles and Berlin. Our goal is to revolutionize the quantum future of technology by delivering transformational, real-life outcomes for the world’s most innovative and impactful industry. Simply put, we make quantum technology useful.
We’re led by our values; to be real, be trusted, be just, and be revered. They guide us in everything we do - how we work together and how we shape the future of the quantum field. We want the best talent in the world to join our team - from operations, product, design and marketing through to quantum research. So whether you’re a quantum expert or simply unsure where you fit into a business like ours, we want to hear from you!
About the role
Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, the Head of Engineering is a newly created role that is responsible for the success of Q-CTRL’s Engineering teams. Just as Product must build the right thing, Engineering must build the thing right. To this end, you’ll have full carriage to design a global Engineering function that consistently delivers technical solutions with the highest levels of performance, availability, reliability, scalability, and security.
The successful candidate will be an exceptional individual who has had a distinguished career as an individual contributor before moving into senior leadership positions such as Head/Director/VP of Engineering and/or CTO, and who is now known for their architectural prowess, their uncanny attention to detail, their unconditional commitment to quality, their frequent bouts of uncommon sense, and their ability to lead by example.
What you'll be doing:
- Leading, managing, and coaching Q-CTRL’s Engineering Leads in order to promote learning, development, and career growth - and empowering and guiding them to do the same within their own teams.
- Embedding yourself in the planning of Q-CTRL’s platform and products in order to fully understand their OKRs, roadmaps, and interdependencies, and setting the technical direction that will future-proof our architectural decisions and technology choices for successful delivery.
- Continuously improving the standards and processes of technology delivery in order to maximize quality.
- Regularly scrutinizing the topologies of teams and working with the organization to optimize for fast flow - including when, where, and who to hire - and why.
Ideally you'll have:
- Previous experience in a Head/Director/VP of Engineering and or CTO position.
- Worked within a startup and/or scaleup business environment within the technology sector.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Previously led and managed Engineering teams distributed across multiple geographies and time zones.
- Experience with high performance distributed computing, service oriented architecture, and machine learning.
- Implemented and used Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) for goal-setting.
- Worked with Agile project management frameworks such as Scrum and Kanban.
- The ability to win friends and influence people.
It would be a bonus if you have:
- Experience using the C4 model for visualizing software architecture.
- Worked with languages such as Python and TypeScript.
- Experience with frameworks such as Django and Next.js.
- Previously worked with cloud computing services such as AWS and GCP.
Flexibility: We embrace workplace flexibility so you worry more about your global impact vs a rigid work schedule
Attractive salary: You’ll get to live the start-up life without start-up wages
Equity: We want people to have a sense of ownership in what they do and offer the potential for equity share and annual bonuses
Resources: We are well funded by the world’s best technology investors, letting us chase our ambitions with minimal constraints
Parental support: We offer paid parental leave to support you and your loved ones!
Diversity: We’re an equal employment opportunity employer. We value diversity, inclusion and providing equal opportunities to all, actively supporting initiatives like the ‘Global Women in Quantum’ program among others
Unique culture: You’ll be surrounded by some of the world’s leading physicists, engineers, product, marketing and design people (to name a few!) with a strong desire to learn and transfer knowledge
Meaningful values: You’ll work with an incredibly supportive team who work consistently to deliver our core values to be real, be trusted, be just and to be revered
Personal development: We provide you with a personal development and wellness budget
Impactful work: Last but not least! You’ll have the opportunity to work in the world’s leading field of technology and truly make an impact that matters!
Please note: Q-CTRL is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that values the strength diversity brings to the workplace. We are committed to being inclusive in the way we hire. We strongly encourage you to apply even if you do not meet all of the requirements mentioned in the job posting.
To recruitment agencies, we do not accept unsolicited branded profiles and are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.