Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2023
We hold the key to making quantum useful! Q-CTRL is a company with a deep start-up spirit with offices in Sydney, Los Angeles and Berlin. Our goal is to revolutionize the quantum future of technology by delivering transformational, real-life outcomes for the world’s most innovative and impactful industry. Simply put, we make quantum technology useful.
We’re led by our values; to be real, be trusted, be just, and be revered. They guide us in everything we do - how we work together and how we shape the future of the quantum field. We want the best talent in the world to join our team - from operations, product, design and marketing through to quantum research. So whether you’re a quantum expert or simply unsure where you fit into a business like ours, we want to hear from you!
About the role
As a Research Scientist, you’ll be responsible for developing solutions for quantum technologies and deploying them in the Q-CTRL product suite.
What you'll be doing:
- Develop efficient and reliable methods and tools that solve challenges facing real quantum computers.
- Implement and innovate the latest techniques and algorithms from machine learning and quantum control. In particular, you will use these tools for improving the performance of real devices, quantum algorithms, near-term quantum applications, and quantum error correction schemes.
- Collaborate with your colleagues in the Quantum product team and Quantum Professional Services in order to better direct the research goals.
- Explain and document sophisticated control and machine learning solutions in accessible language.
- Use numerical packages like NumPy, Scipy, Tensorflow, and Scikit-learn to build high-quality research code to develop, test, and demonstrate new algorithms and methods.
- A Senior Research Scientist should have a PhD in Physics, CS, Engineering, or a closely related discipline.
- Experience with implementing hybrid algorithms, such as QAOA, VQE, QML, for solving practical optimization problems.
- Candidates with a bachelor's degree in these disciplines are encouraged to apply, and will be considered for a mid-level role.
- You have at least 3 years of experience conducting research and ideally some publications to your name or a presentation track record in recognized academic journals/conferences in a relevant field.
- Familiarity with at least one of the quantum computing platforms, such as, superconducting circuits, trapped ions, neutral atoms, photonics is highly regarded
- A keen understanding of Quantum/Optimal control or Machine Learning tools for optimization, optimal selection and model learning.
- You have a background in quantum algorithms and applications ideally working within a Python environment (highly desirable, but not essential)
- Familiarity in executing circuits in Qiskit is also highly desirable, but not essential
Flexibility: We embrace workplace flexibility so you worry more about your global impact vs a rigid work schedule
Attractive salary: You’ll get to live the start-up life without start-up wages
Equity: We want people to have a sense of ownership in what they do and offer the potential for equity share and annual bonuses
Resources: We are well funded by the world’s best technology investors, letting us chase our ambitions with minimal constraints
Parental support: We offer paid parental leave to support you and your loved ones!
Diversity: We’re an equal employment opportunity employer. We value diversity, inclusion and providing equal opportunities to all, actively supporting initiatives like the ‘Global Women in Quantum’ program among others
Unique culture: You’ll be surrounded by some of the world’s leading physicists, engineers, product, marketing and design people (to name a few!) with a strong desire to learn and transfer knowledge
Meaningful values: You’ll work with an incredibly supportive team who work consistently to deliver our core values to be real, be trusted, be just and to be revered
Personal development: We provide you with a personal development and wellness budget
Impactful work: Last but not least! You’ll have the opportunity to work in the world’s leading field of technology and truly make an impact that matters!
Please note: Q-CTRL is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that values the strength diversity brings to the workplace. We are committed to being inclusive in the way we hire. We strongly encourage you to apply even if you do not meet all of the requirements mentioned in the job posting.
To recruitment agencies, we do not accept unsolicited branded profiles and are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.