Lead Software Developer/Engineer
We are a Brisbane-based Agtech startup with a vision to transform agriculture to a low chemical input system. We’re on a mission to take the guesswork out of pest management for sustainable food production. Our precision pest management solution drives efficient crop protection. The information package delivered to growers on a mobile app is enabled by our unique insect sensing technology integrated into a comprehensive IoT solution.
We have a small, highly collaborative team and we’re looking for people as passionate as we are to grow our business and make an impact on a global scale. We are one team, and we take pride in our diversity and culture of inclusion. We started commercial sales in January 2020, and our product is in the hands of more than 170 end users with more than 500 sensors deployed from northern QLD to southern VIC. We have a deep understanding of end users, and the pain points associated with insect pest management. We have a high quality and differentiated product that is ready to scale.
We’re hiring a Lead Software Developer/Engineer that:
- Will oversee and lead the team of developers and ensure performance metrics are met.
- Demonstrates technical leadership within the SW team through promoting standards, tools and processes for sound product delivery and company growth.
- Drives product development through the lens of software technology.
- Enable the company to make the right tactical software decision as we grow.
- Translate the backend data to the front-end software product, and ensure that software technology & software product serves business best.
- Delivering software solutions that meet the requirements of the business and customers.
- Creation of software to fulfil the business objectives.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work closely with the CEO and Head of Hardware Engineering to:
- prioritise product releases as related to company strategy, growth objectives and product roadmap, and ensure technical integration of hardware, software (including UI and UX) engagement and development.
- Planning, organising and prioritising project work; communicating, monitoring and evaluating SW staff progress.
- Create a pleasant working environment that inspires the team to achieve organisational goals.
- Identify technical and personnel gaps and barriers to scaling the product as it relates to the SW development and delivery.
- Assist with hiring, training, goal setting and technical troubleshooting that involves SW aspects including development, engineering tasks, customer on-boarding, and product releases.
- Establish and lead best practice for product quality and robustness, and for customer experience.
- Maintaining and updating the user interface while considering deep integration between the application domains (growers, crop advisors, Government Biosecurity), hardware, and software technology solution.
- Work with a variety of languages as described below.
- Maintain accountability for quality and security of the mobile app.
- Lead and prioritise the development of the desktop service offering.
- Mature and scale our startup mobile app and desktop product to meet the demands of efficiencies and the demands of a dynamic and growing company.
- Demonstrated leadership in communicating, planning, organising and prioritising project work to meet company objectives.
- A track record of team motivation and positive results including:
- Excellent interpersonal skills to build quality relationships with the team, service provides, and clients, and
- Being goal-driven and showing efficient management of the day-to-day activities of the team.
- Technical depth in software engineering, specialising on front end development.
- Adaptability in a fast-changing startup company.
- Inspire a culture of innovation and excellence within the company and software team while demonstrating a commitment to integrity and accountability.
- Embraces a company structure where we have well-defined, transparent work.
- Support, develop and grow a company culture that focuses on results, and care and consideration of colleagues, clients and customers.
** QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE**
- Leadership of people and teams
- Front End developer with 5+ years of experience
- Qualifications in a relevant engineering specialty
- Visual creativity and refinement as expressed in web-based products, e.g. mobile app and desktop
- Excellent communication with strong written and spoken skills
Technical acumen demonstrating strong foundational software skills in:
- Strong proficiency with one or more backend languages such as Go, Python, Java or Node.js
- Functional front-end (eg Elm, React Native, Flutter, Reason)
- Cloud DevOps (AWS or Terraform)
- User Experience design
*LOCATION: Brisbane, Australia with flexibility for WFH arrangements *
- We’re located in the heart of the popular West End, along Montague Road and nearby shops, parks and public transport.
- Our modern designer-fitted office is bright and opens onto a leafy courtyard and also includes a kitchen with a stocked mini-bar and espresso coffee machine.
- We also like to go out for monthly team lunches and experience new cuisines.
- You must have full working rights in Australia to apply.
Something looks off?