Senior Scientist - Modeling
Remote · United States
Posted on Monday, February 6, 2023
Senior Scientist - Modeling
Team: Environmental Modeling
Who We Are
We are a climate tech company committed to reversing climate change. How do we reach this lofty goal? By disrupting the agriculture industry!
Founded by globally-recognized innovators in science and ag technology, Regrow is unlocking the power and profitability of resilient agriculture across the supply chain — from growers to global food brands. Regrow combines best-in-class agronomy, soil and carbon modeling, and innovative data collection to deliver customized, site-specific and scalable solutions to the agri-food industry.
Our customers are frontrunners in agri-food and agtech, ranging from global market operators, project developers, global food brands, and independent farmers. We help partners measure their impact on the environment, model and implement changes that will be environmentally and financially sustainable, and track partners’ progress against sustainability goals.
We're backed by leading investors, such as Galvanize Climate Solutions, Microsoft's Venture Fund, Cargill, The Grantham Environmental Trust (NCO), AJAX Strategies, and more, all of whom believe in our vision to change the world through resilient agriculture.
Agriculture has the power to reverse climate change. We believe science and technology can help us get there.
Our goal is to use farmland to cool the earth. We are currently monitoring 200 million acres of land in over 45 countries. This year alone, with just one project, our carbon emissions reductions are equivalent to taking 17,000 cars off the road! We are already on our way to a more sustainable planet.
Regrow is looking for a Senior Scientist to develop and implement algorithms, primarily in Python to advance sustainable agricultural practices worldwide. You will be working closely with our environmental modeling team and remote sensing teams to advance the DNDC model.
What you will do
- Work with the DNDC science and remote sensing science teams to develop and implement algorithms that will help improve soil management practices nationally and internationally
- Analyze large remotely sensed, geospatial datasets for agriculture and rangeland applications
- Develop and implement algorithms that support measurement, reporting and verification of carbon and ecosystem service outcomes to support natural climate solutions
- Develop techniques for rapid soil carbon and soil nitrogen quantification. ,
- Research the impacts of soil biogeochemical cycles and farm management practices on mitigating the impacts of climate change on agriculture
- Work closely with engineering to implement and parametrize mechanistic models (DNDC) to scale internationally
- Assist with the development of case studies and reports by providing insight into soil health and soil carbon processes modeled by DNDC
- Ph.D. Degree in earth systems science, environmental science, natural resources, carbon cycle science, or related fields
- Excellent programming skills in Python, and C++ or C# or C or FORTRAN
- Significant experience with modeling using DNDC, APEX, EPIC, SWOT, DAYCENT, MEMS, or similar models
- Experience working in a team and ability to work with people from a variety of backgrounds, including software engineers, scientists, and business teams
- The ability to translate your technical knowledge into insights accessible to our team and our customers
- Experience with Linux/Unix, cloud computing, and version control
- Experience in modeling yield and productivity resilience based on soil and environmental drivers.
- Experience with open-source geospatial libraries, e.g. GDAL, OGR, Fiona, Shapely
- Experience and interest in agriculture, geography, process-based modeling
- Experience developing applications independently, as well as in a team
- Experience with software development life cycle
- Strong focus and desire to understand and meet customer needs, adjusting the models to meet the real-world requirements
Envision Yourself Here
Does this sound like your dream job? If so, go ahead and apply for the position and we’ll be in touch. We appreciate your interest in Regrow.
While it may go without saying once you see the diversity on our current team, we encourage diversity on our team at all levels of the company. We are committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive environment and to encourage these values in everyone on our team. We provide an environment of mutual respect where opportunities are available without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We believe that diversity and inclusion for people from all walks of life is key to our success as a company.
See more open positions at Regrow Ag
Something looks off?