Senior Software Engineer
Townsville City QLD 4810, Australia
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2023
At SafetyCulture, we help businesses get better every day. As the operational heartbeat of working teams, our technology gives workers a voice and leaders the visibility to make smart decisions. We’re constantly evolving our platform, expanding into sensors/IoT, Machine Learning, Scalable and Event-Driven Architecture to name a few, but we believe there’s more to be done.
Our mission – and your opportunity — is to help solve the challenges faced in an increasingly distributed workforce. In short, to shape Engineering excellence, nurture emerging Engineering talent and build out an inclusive, high-performing interdisciplinary team.
With the goal to have 100 million workers using our products every day, we’re investing our resources into creating and shaping a better workplace for all. We are growing fast and looking for talented, self-motivated people who value collaboration, growth and learning to join our team.
The tech stack
We use a modern technology stack including Swift/Kotlin/C++ (mobile); React.js (front end); Go (back end); AWS/Kafka/Kubernetes (infrastructure).
As a Senior Software Engineer, you’ll be empowered to manage complex architectural decisions and drive change. You’ll own delivery of practical solutions to solve real-world problems for customers, with the knowledge that what you build has an immediate positive impact.
You’ll face exciting technical challenges as we scale, and be an integral part of the engineering team. High-performing teams here own their services, and you’re trusted to build and run a system that serves hundreds of thousands of users while transforming it into a system that will serve millions of users in the near future. We empower engineers to learn new skills and use technology to solve customer problems, including initiatives in machine learning, and event-driven architecture.
How you can have an impact
Be recognised as an expert in relevant technologies to the role, and have influence over the direction of the team and function. Improve others’ ability to deliver great work and drive initiatives focused on release-safety, repeatability, and improving the way we do things. Mentor colleagues, actively engage in building a culture of candid feedback, and help the engineering teams give and receive constructive feedback. We encourage involvement in the community, open source work, attending talks and events, and experimenting with new technologies.
In Townsville we have teams developing and supporting our SaaS platform, working on extending the functionality and longer term strategic bets, including communication and organisation management features. Each team has a co-located manager, product manager, designer, direct access to customers, and support from specialists in quality, SRE and specific technologies. Check out some of the things we’ve been doing in our blog.
This position is based in our Townsville office. Townsville is a coastal city in North Queensland, Australia. Offering upwards of 270 days of sunshine a year, Townsville's climate is warm in summer and mild in winter with glorious blue skies. If you're seeking affordable housing, minimal traffic, a family friendly or outdoors lifestyle, Townsville is the perfect place to call home. The city is a great place for sports, from water sports to cycling, rock climbing, hiking and team sports of all kinds. Magnetic Island is also a short ferry ride from the city, offering beautiful beaches and a relaxed vibe for the perfect weekend getaway.
The Townsville office in the CBD is a fully renovated warehouse with soaring ceilings up to seven metres high. We have spacious desk arrangements, high speed fibre internet, a new kitchen filled with food and even a half basketball court for an afternoon shoot around.
If you are seeking the professional challenge and personal learning opportunity that a growing SaaS business can offer but want to enjoy a relaxed coastal lifestyle or be home every afternoon to see your children, SafetyCulture's Townsville office is the perfect location.
For applicants in Australia
To make the move to Townsville as smooth as possible, SafetyCulture offers relocation assistance for you and your immediate family.
- Depth of knowledge in a front end or back end coding language and associated libraries/frameworks
- Ability to own delivery of complex features, break down requirements and provide reasonable estimates
- Ability to articulate effort vs impact tradeoffs
- Able to improve others’ ability to deliver great work
- Able to demonstrate SafetyCulture values (Think Customer, Open Honest Always, Better as a Team, Be Bold Bring Action)
- Breadth of knowledge of a variety of platforms and approaches
- Experience with frontend edge infrastructure (e.g. AWS cloudfront, lambda)
- Understanding of caching, server-side rendering, CDNs
- Experience with frontend build pipelines and tooling, particularly around mono-repos and automation testing
- Working with service-oriented/microservice architectures
- Experience with key/value store and relational databases (e.g. DynamoDB, Postgres, MySQL)
- Building and running SaaS or cloud services at scale
More than a Job!
- Equity with high growth potential, and a competitive salary;
- Hybrid working, we encourage you to create the best work blend while working from your home and the local SafetyCulture office;
- Access to professional and personal training and development opportunities;
- Hackathons, Workshops, Lunch & Learns;
- We encourage involvement in the community, open source work, attending talks and events, and experimenting with new technologies.
Office Day Benefits
- In-house Culinary Crew serving up daily breakfast, lunch and snacks;
- Barista coffee machine, craft beer on tap, boutique wines and a range of non-alcoholic beverages;
- Quarterly celebrations and team events:
- Table tennis, board games, books library, and pet-friendly office.
At SafetyCulture, we’re committed to building inclusive teams and cultivating a sense of belonging so our people can bring their whole authentic selves to work each day. We seek to make reasonable adjustments throughout our recruitment process to create an even playing field for all candidates. Thanks to the tireless efforts of the entire SafetyCulture team we’ve built an incredible culture which has seen us recognised as a Best Place to Work in Australia, the US and the UK.
To all recruitment agencies, we do not accept resumes or partnership opportunities. Please do not forward resumes to SafetyCulture or any of our employees. We are not responsible for any fees associated with unsolicited resumes.