Senior Software Engineer - Platform
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2022
A little about us:
Shippit is Australia’s best connected shipping software. Logistics infrastructure is a sophisticated beast, and we’re not only improving the experience for everyone involved, we’re impacting the planet in a positive manner: deliveries made through our platform are already 100% Carbon Neutral. Proudly Australian founded, we’re truly global in our approach and have the benefit of being a free moving startup with the security of impacting a growing industry that needs some love and attention. Our recent Series B2 cap raise of $65m has added to our ability grow and solve some chunky problems.
Watch this - What we do
Your (awesome) team and role!
The technology team at Shippit lives and breathes by one core value: ‘We make good sh*#’. From deploying to new geographies to building next-generation products, and taking the microservices journey, there’s no better time to join a vibrant team already strong of several extraordinary software engineers. As a Senior Software Engineer at Shippit, you are responsible for participating in the development of product features through all the phases of the software development cycle, working alongside one of our Product Managers and more senior engineers. As part of the engineering team, you will have a direct impact on our customers. Our cross-functional teams own new features, maintenance and monitoring in their business area, shipping code several times a day.
Our current tech stack includes: Ruby on Rails, Node, Typescript, JQuery, React, Graphql API, AWS, microservices, Kafka and Kubernetes. We don’t mind if you’re not awesome at all of these, but that you are at least keen to work on some of the tech in our stack.
Day to day!
* Design, code and test solutions for the Shippit platform and new products
* Taking substantial features from concept to shipping
* Work in a cross-functional team with a Product Manager and Designers as well as other internal teams to make decisions as a team
* Work in an agile team that is not afraid to identify what we’re doing wrong so we can fix it
* Provide material feedback and coach junior engineers
* Understands the technical and business larger picture around your work
* Proactively suggest and apply small corrective actions on the existing code bases
* Be a team player! Work collaboratively with your team to ensure you are always using the best tech for the problem you’re solving
Our ideal Shippster - You!
We are always looking for the best, so ideally you'll have;
* Ability to mentor and train other Engineers in the team
* Experience with Object-Oriented programming
* Experience working in a product development environment
* Strong problem-solving capabilities
* Ability to build scalable solutions
* Strong communication skills
* Eager to learn from and share knowledge with others
* Enjoys analysing complex problems to find simple solutions for our customers
* Excited to work closely with product, design, and users with empathy and kindness
Nice to have skills:
* We will highly value experience with Kafka and micro-services
* Experience with Docker and Kubernetes
Life at Shippit, the good stuff!
We have so much to offer at Shippit, it’s almost too hard to list it all in a job ad, so here is what we believe you’ll love:
* CBD office location - state-of-the-art office with all the facilities/ tools you need to get the job done
* Hybrid/ Flexible working - choose whether you want to come into the office or work from home
* Our business is yours - be rewarded with a generous Employee Share Option Plan
* Get fit - we contribute to your gym membership
* Enrich your life - travel and explore the world through the flexibility to temporarily work anywhere, yes anywhere in the world for up to 2 weeks of the year
* Let’s grow together - ongoing professional and personal development opportunities provided
* We love to eat - let us treat you to a delicious lunch once a week, we’re talking trimmings and all. Oh and our pantry and fridges are fully stocked for your convenience
* Family Friendly - we promote a sustainable balance in one's identity as a Shippster AND a parent – so enjoy an improved parental leave policy
* Wellbeing & Mental Health - all newbies start on Wednesday for a shorter first week, allowing time to reflect and rest
… AND MORE!!
Culture Culture Culture!
You’ll be joining a high-performance culture at Shippit, where everyone can make a difference. We’re on a mission that needs the right humans to help make ship happen!
The team behind Shippit come from diverse backgrounds, but all embody the core values that make our business unique. Our mantra is to make ship happen, every single day.
We’re a phenomenal place to work, and we can back that up. Shippit’s been ranked as #9 in Linkedin’s Hottest Startups to work at in 2021. It doesn’t stop there, we have a whole bunch of accolades we earnt over the years which we are super proud of.
Watch this - Culture at Shippit
Our recruitment process - we don’t like to complicate things!
1. Phone screening - nice and simple to start, let’s get to know each other.
2. Manager Meeting - get to know our leaders
3. Pair Programming - meet some members of your potential new team.
4. System Design - let your skills do the talking.
We are one!
Shippit promotes and supports a diverse workforce at all levels of the company. It is our belief that creating a work environment that enables us to attract, retain, and fully engage diverse talent leads to enhanced innovation and creativity in our products and services. We foster a culture of inclusion at Shippit and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We encourage everyone to apply and please reach out if you require any accommodations or assistance along the way.
In a forever changing automated world, we’re still human at Shippit and we love to chat, so if you have any questions or would like to have a confidential discussion, please contact Adam Cox on 0451 652 451.
We are a 2022 Circle Back Initiative Employer – we commit to responding to every applicant.
We are a 2023 Circle Back Initiative Employer – we commit to responding to every applicant.