Senior Backend Engineer
Here at Skedulo we’re on a mission to support the 2.7 billion people in the world—and the companies that employ them—who do not work at a desk every day. Our global teams are collaborative, ambitious, innovative, and passionate about helping our customers realize their fullest potential by enabling their mobile workforces.
The Skedulo team is a tight-knit group of builders who are passionate about shaping the future of how work gets done outside of the traditional office setting. We are looking for motivated, self-starters who share our values, challenge the status quo, and push the pace of innovation in order to accelerate growth. If you’re drawn to solving hard problems and want to help develop software that will make a difference in people’s lives, Skedulo is for you. Visit our website to learn more about what Skedulo does and to learn more about our people and team.
As a Senior Backend Engineer you will be required to produce and implement functional software solutions on our server stack. You will work with Product Managers and other Engineers in a cross-functional team to implement key features that will provide tangible results to the success of the company.
The Senior Backend Engineer is responsible for delivering performant, scalable solutions that meet the growing needs of our largest customers. They are able to clearly determine business requirements, model the underlying business domain, create documentation that Mobile and Frontend Engineers can leverage to deliver value to the end users, and understand nuances related to microservice design.
The Senior Engineer has end-to-end responsibility for projects of increasing complexity. They are responsible for complex tasks and complete them despite roadblocks, grabbing others for help or insight as necessary. The Senior Engineer requires very little oversight beyond high-level direction; they can take a complex user story, break it down into sub-tasks, and complete their sub-tasks with relative ease; they know when not to write code, when to delete code and when to question assumptions and proposed solutions before implementing.
Day to Day
- Writing and reviewing code from the sprint backlog inline with backend guild best practices
- Assisting in driving squad sprint execution to ensure timelines are met without compromising on quality.
- You may be required to participate in your squads on-call rotation as part of supporting the services your squad owns.
- Anticipates and communicates blockers or delays for their work (or their squads) before they require escalation.
- Consistently writes production-ready code that is easily testable, easily understood by other engineers, and accounts for edge cases and errors.
- Provides technical advice and weighs in on technical discussions / decisions that impact their team.
- Ensures their commitments are realistic, understands their priority and urgency, and delivers upon them accordingly.
- May be required to participate in your squads on-call rotation as part of supporting the services your squad owns.
Communication & Leadership Duties
- Communicate within your team in an effective, clear, concise manner in both written and verbal form on technical and non technical subjects.
- Helps their fellow team members overcome obstacles, resolve blockers, and complete work tasks.
- Mentors more junior teammates in an open, respectful, flexible, and empathetic manner.
- Must have at least 5+ years commercial experience working with various server side technologies
- Must have at least 3+ years working with unit and integration testing patterns
- Must have at least 2+ years working with agile development methodologies
- Must have at least 1+ years commercial experience in Kotlin / TypeScript / Node /Java or an appetite to learn
- Preferred candidates will have a team player mentality, quick on their feet, agile, and aren't afraid to speak up and voice their opinion.
- Preferred candidates will have prior experience setting up and contributing to CI/CD environments
- Preferred candidates will have prior experience with ORMs
- Preferred candidates will have prior experience working with GraphQL
- Preferred candidates will have experience with functional programming patterns and practices
- Fun, creative and fast-paced working environment
- Competitive salary
- Flextime - 3 days in the office & 2 days work from home
- Mental Health Support/Resources through Modern Health
- 3 Paid Volunteer Days per year
- 10 paid sick days per year
- 4 weeks paid leave per year
- 8 Days of public holidays per year
- Stock Options/ Equity
- Kitchen stocked with snacks & drinks
- Paid Parental Leave for both carers
- Learning & Development Stipend
- Employee Referral Bonus
- Our offices have creative, open workspaces with room to play, reflect, and relax
- Our team is extremely competitive, and we will challenge your best table tennis skills