Senior Business Analyst
IT, Sales & Business Development
Melbourne, VIC, Australia
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2023
Who are we?
UpGuard’s mission is to protect the world’s data. We obsessively seek out elegant, robust ways to enable our customers to find, acknowledge, and remediate cyber risks. With UpGuard, organisations leverage our security expertise and software to automate what were once laborious, spreadsheet-driven processes–monitoring the attack surface of hundreds of vendors or assessing the security of their own infrastructure. UpGuard is used by some of the world’s largest, fastest growing and most innovative companies.
Why are we hiring this role?
As UpGuard continues to scale at an increasing rate, each of our teams, from Product to Sales, is becoming more data and insight hungry. As a result, our central Analytics and BI function is bandwidth constrained and needs to scale with our business growth.
As a Senior Business Analyst, you will be responsible for ensuring that all teams not only have access to the data they need but also provide powerful insights that can help UpGuard scale and make important decisions. You will develop automation that helps us scale ourselves and our customer base seamlessly. You will be able to use your understanding of business structure and processes to understand stakeholder needs and provide them with the correct information and insights in the most useful and concise format.
We are looking for someone with 4+ years of experience working in both Analytics and Software Engineering roles. Candidates should have a Bachelor's Degree in a Mathematical, IT, Science or Engineering field. As our team is currently small, we're looking for someone who is self-sufficient.
What you will accomplish?
- Understand the business data needs of various teams within the organisation, from stakeholders that do and do not have a technical background. A successful candidate will not only be able to digest requirements but also converse with stakeholders in a constructive and comfortable manner, as you are providing “customer support” to other teams.
- Be able to transform raw data into useful insights through the use of our Business Intelligence platform and present information in a way that conveys powerful and pertinent insights for stakeholders. Our BI platform is Looker, so we are looking for candidates who are familiar with both the Explore/Look/Dashboard side of Looker as well as have experience with the Developer side of Looker.
- Be able to learn and understand our business processes, from our sales pipeline structure to our product usage metrics.
- Be able to undertake projects around trend analysis, seasonality and other more complex mathematical analyses on behalf of stakeholders.
- Be able to not only suggest areas of improvement for our processes, teams and infrastructure but also be able to plan, implement and test the proposed solution.
What would give you an edge? We have a Google Platform-based BI-stack. These are the technologies and skill sets we are looking for:
- Looker is our main BI platform: a candidate should be familiar with Explores, Looks, Dashboards and the Developer interface - maintaining dimensions and measures, creating and maintaining models, and being able to run and debug raw SQL queries.
- Google Sheets when we need to explore data in more detail: you should be comfortable with functions like pivot tables, vlookup, and charting.
- CloudSQL (PostgreSQL) and BigQuery for storage and query: be comfortable with writing complex queries.
- Experience with broader data sourcing and storage platforms such as Google Analytics, and Sales CRMs, and how they interact and connect with one another.
What's in it for you?
- Rapidly growing user base: Work directly with some of the world’s largest, fastest-growing, and most innovative companies
- Interesting problems, at scale: Deeply explore the ever-evolving world of cybersecurity, with a platform processing billions of data points daily
- Learn from industry-leading experts: Our security research has been featured in The New York Times, The New Yorker, The Washington Post, TechCrunch, Bloomberg, Gizmodo, Engadget, Forbes, ZDNet, and The Guardian
- Impact: See the impact of your work on a daily basis, with data and impact available on dashboards you have access to
- Generous compensation: Competetive salary & stock options.
- Great perks: Grocery and gym reimbursements, flexible work arrangements, learning and development stipend, and generous PTO package
My Startup Gig ran an independent review into life at UpGuard. To see what it's like to work at UpGuard, check out their survey results here.
Before starting work with us, you will need to undertake a national police history check and reference checks. Also please note that at this time, we cannot support candidates requiring visa sponsorship or relocation.
UpGuard is an Equal Opportunity Employer and qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status.