Backend Team Lead - Payments
Melbourne VIC, Australia
Posted on Monday, April 3, 2023
At Zeller, we’re champions for businesses of all sizes, and proud to be a fast-growing Australian scale-up taking on the ambitious goal of reimagining business banking and payments.
We believe in a level playing field, where all businesses benefit from access to smarter payments and financial services solutions that accelerate their cash flow, help them get paid faster, and give them a better understanding of their finances. So we’re hard at work building the tools to make it happen.
Zeller is growing fast, backed by leading VCs, and brings together a global team of passionate payment and tech industry professionals. With an exciting roadmap of innovative new products under development, we are building a high performing team to take on the outdated banking solutions. If you are passionate about innovation, thrive in fast-paced environments, embrace a challenge, hate bureaucracy, and can’t think of anything more exciting than disrupting the status-quo, then read on to learn more.
About the role
The Zeller payments team enables more than 30,000 Australian businesses to accept payments from millions of Australian customers each month. As one of the fastest growing fintechs in Australia, we are searching for a product-minded engineering leader to drive the development of our user-focused, modern payments and banking platform.
As a member of Zeller’s payments leadership team, you will play a key role in solutioning and leading the development of new ways for our customers to accept payments, and move and manage their money.
An engineering leader at Zeller has responsibilities for technical, project, and people leadership over a domain squad (backend) within a product group (payments). Working within a cross-functional group, you should have a drive for technical and product excellence and a desire to contribute to and lead the development of highly visible and mission critical products.
What you’ll be doing
Zeller’s payments backend team owns the APIs and systems that power the customer facing (web, mobile, and terminal) experience of our merchants and their customers. As part of this team, you will:
- Work on a diverse set of products and systems collaborating with engineering and product leaders to thoughtfully translate Zeller’s product goals into solution designs.
- Hands-on implementation of systems from solutioning and documentation, through to build, testing, deployment and beyond.
- Lead a team of backend engineers setting technical direction and providing people and project leadership.
- Advance Zeller’s technical toolkit and help drive the broader team to the highest coding and system design standards.
- Take ownership of the quality and production operation of the products that your team builds.
What skills and experience we are looking for
Zeller uses a modern and evolving technical stack, and we don’t expect you to have experience with every tool. That being said, the key elements of our stack today include:
- A preference for using Typescript wherever possible.
- GraphQL based APIs/BFF built on a serverless approach with serverless framework
- An event-driven, asynchronous approach to microservice communication
- Extensive use of AWS services including DynamoDB, Lambda, Aurora, Event Bridge and many more.
To help us level up, you will bring:
- Experience providing technical and project direction setting for a team. Direct people management experience is a bonus.
- Proficient knowledge of Typescript and at least six years experience working in a hands-on role in a backend focused position.
- A driven, growth mindset with a desire to work on high impact projects
- A logical, ethical, mature and responsible approach to work
- Demonstrated ownership and delivery of complex features and systems.
- A strong desire and discipline to have automated testing.
- The ability to put yourself in the customer's shoes and understand how your work helps them accomplish their mission.
- Experience or excitement about the payments industry.
How we work
Zeller has a global engineering team with our headquarters in Melbourne. This Melbourne based role supports flexible, hybrid working with most of our team working from our CBD office three to four days a week.
Like the rest of the team, you’ll benefit from:
A competitive salary package, including equity from an early stage;
A balanced, progressive, and supportive work environment;
Excellent parental leave and other leave entitlements;
A fantastic office environment;
Endless learning and development opportunities;
Plenty of fun and social opportunities - we love to come together as a team;
An ability to influence and shape the future of Zeller as our company scales both domestically and globally;
Being part of one of Australia’s most exciting scale-ups.